“What a treat!!!!”

The Shortmarket Club
Ranked #94 of 2,776 Restaurants in Cape Town
Price range: US$4 - US$22
Description: Classic dishes with a South African twist. In an industrial 1920's "members-only club" inspired space where everyone is welcome
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us. It is worth the trip- excellent service, great menu and wine list. We had duck breast- absolutely intense flavors, beautiful preparation.
We also had sirloin- served Med., duck fat roasted potatoes and or Brussel sprouts- I lost my mind they are that good!!!
I have written lots of reviews- this restaurant stands by itself- for service, quality, attention to detail and taste.

Tomorrow nite is their second sister restaurant, PotLuck Club--
Can not wait.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I visited Cape Town as stop number one on our honeymoon, and wanted to make sure that we took advantage of the great cooking community that the city had to offer. Our concierge recommended that we go to The Shortmarket Club as it was relatively new and a sister restaurant to some of the best in the city. Located in city center, it's very easy to get to via Uber or taxi, and has a very cool modern yet rustic decor. The staff was extremely attentive, and the food was out of this world. My husband has Celiacs Disease, and the staff made sure to keep his food free of contamination and were trained on what exactly gluten entails (you'd be surprised how many restaurants we've been to that don't train their staff on allergies). The food was delicious, and prices were completely reasonable. Everything was amazing. So much so that we went to this restaurant two nights in a row, and to our surprise, the staff remembered us and warmly welcomed us back with two glasses of champagne.

You can't come to Cape Town without visiting The Shortmarket Club - would be a huge miss without it!

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We had high expectations for the Shortmarket Club and they well and truely exceeded them. Service from Pierre was flawless with us never wanting for a drink or anything else. He explained the menu very well as we were unsure about the Cafe au Lait sauce. We chose this on his recommendation for our beef and it was amazing. I am so glad we chose it as it is probably the best sauce for a steak I have tasted. The eye fillet melted in your mouth and combined with the sauce was sensational. The salad also had a fantastic sauce. A perfect meal.

The ambience of the restaurant is great with a wall of butterflies, trolleys of spirits, cheese and other theatrics. It's a true experience with amazing food matched by great service. Thoroughly worth the effort to make a booking well in advance.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Short Market Club is well worth visiting. You will have to book in advance and good reason too! It is something else in there. Stunning decor, amazing food, friendly staff and fantastic atmosphere.

My fiance and I enjoyed our meals thoroughly and the meat was just delicious. They have a "meat trolley" which is an antique bike that they wheel to the table and you can chose your cut of meat. It is then cooked to perfection. I would highly advise getting the potato churros too.... so so good! These narrowly beat the goose fat roast potatoes to the top spot.

Overall a fantastic time had by the pair of us!

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We came here the first night of our honeymoon, I had desperately tried to get into the test kitchen with no success so settled for the Shortmarket instead. The service and food from the beginning was amazing. The mood and atmosphere was just perfect and when they found out it was our honeymoon they offered us champagne. We travelled for three weeks through SA and Mauritius and this was easily the best meal of the trip