“Fantastic Korean mezze ”

EDWARD's Canteen Kitchen
Ranked #16 of 50 Restaurants in Beeston
Price range: US$6 - US$11
Description: Please be aware, our Kitchen closes at 1.30 on a Saturday for evening prep. We apologise, but we have limited time and are booked most Fridays and Saturdays in advance.
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

Called in as I was craving Edwards fantastic full English breakfast, however my pals had already ordered the Korean Mezze and invited me to share.

When the dish arrived we were all instantly speechless, It looked like the servings of a Michelin star restaurant and consisted of :

Chicken 65, Kimchi Gyoza, Twigim, Seaweed, pickled raddish root, Mouli, chilli, sweet soy.

The precision of presentation and detailed depth of flavour was truly amazing, we also shared a Chicken goujon ciabatta which was delicious and the chicken had incredible flavour.

Without doubt there are big things ahead for this guy !
( look out Sat Bain , Edward is coming for you !)

Reviewed 20 April 2017

We went for a weekday lunch and were not disappointed. We tried a platter of mixed dishes to share and they were all delicious, if spicier than expected. The service was great and friendly and we'd definitely return.

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

Visited for brunch & was a little underwhelmed.. the food was nice enough, but , I probably wouldn't go back again for breakfast.

Reviewed 8 April 2017

I'm not sure where to start. We have been wanting to come here for some time, looking for an occasion to do so, seeing the reviews on here and in various publications around the area, the place sounded amazing, the food and aspirations for almost Michelin star level food and service.

It appears, either we were wrong in our expectations or something has gone drastically wrong here.

Don't get me wrong. The food was pretty good, as there's definitely a lot of potential, although I think there was clearly a bit better understanding of portion sizes and balance to be gained and an odd lack of the sweet side of things in the tasting menu (no desserts other than a bit of brittle and an digestif).

But the service. I will say that the service we experienced here was the worst service I have ever seen in any restaurant, ever. Full stop.

It all started when we arrived when the waitress came up to us and asked what we would like to drink. When we asked for a drinks menu she informed us that there wasn't one and if we wanted wine they did red or white. She then brought us the bottles and stated that she didn't know much about red wine and in terms of white wine she was only familiar with Pinot Grigot.

Things only went down hill from here. With each course to bring out on the eight course tasting menu, she had clearly been told to describe it, but for a start with the amous bouche she didn't know what half the things were and said so. On later courses she told us just to "look at the menu" if we wanted to know what was in it.

We had to ask for extra napkins as she never brought any even thought we obviously needed them. The plates were left on the table and expected to be re-used between courses. I get the informal, street-food style dining, but there's informal and there's unprofessional.

At one point we heard her ask another table what course they were on... This is pretty basic stuff!

The perception of the food vs. the service does not fit. The waitress clearly has no experience of working in a restaurant yet they appear to be pushing for fine dining style food. Even with an informal style, I have experienced better service consistently in cheap chain restaurants.

Another slightly unpleasant/unprofessional point as we sat opposite the customer toilet and the waitress must have gone in their four times while we were eating. Very odd and not what you were really want to see as a customer.

By far the most frustrating thing was the rush to the service however. Edwards own website makes a point of talking about how they do not believe in sittings and rushed service, yet the reality couldn't be more difference. The food was literally thrown at us, one course after another. The waitress was constantly returning asking us if we had finished yet! Then literally seconds after we had put the last mouthful in she was snatching our plates and instantly bringing out the next course. The whole eight courses took less than an hour and half and felt stupidly rushed.

Unbelievable disappointed. I wanted to like this place so much but it was completely ruined by the diabolical service.

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Having read the reviews on here and spoken to others who had been we were all looking forward to our first visit.
I booked about a month in advance and when I did I asked if they had a drinks licence and was told they had and had a comprehensive wine list.
We arrived on time and were seated, on the table was an A4 menu which I thought were "specials" however that was it, a set menu for everyone. One of our group is a pescatarian so we informed the waitress who talked to the chef and was able to offer some alternative dishes.
So we asked to see a wine list and were told the wasn't one, the waitress said I'll show you what we have , but we didn't want her to have to bring lots of bottles out to show us so we said we would have a white, she said we only have one white a Pino Grigio !! Oh we said we better have that one then.
The Food started to come out and the first dish was only mildly warm, however all the other dishes were ok, nothing outstanding just ok.
Maybe we set our expectations a little high, but we couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
The wine though was a £6 bottle at best which I have seen in Tesco, I fully understand corkage charges but £18 a bottle was a tad expensive, of course we didn't know this until we paid as there was not a wine list.
I like independent places but this place needs to step it up a bit.