“The jury is out on this one”

Four Pillars Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Olney
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We visited for the first time after being recommended. We have a curry almost every week, going to old favourites and trying new places as well.
The first impression as you enter is very good. Large, and well decorated with 3 different dining areas in a slightly olde world style. Friendly waiter greeted and seated us and we began to check out the menu. This is extensive, with some dishes which were new even to a seasoned Indian fan, and if I'm honest there's probably a little too much choice.

The owner came to the table and gave us some recommendations and left us to decide. We opted for the special deal of £13.95 for a starter, main, side and sundry. Perhaps a little pricey compared to other similar offers, but as it turned out was very good value because the portions were full size, not reduced which has been the case elsewhere.

I had a mixed kebab and my mate a chicken puree for starters and these were good. For the mains it was madras, and a signature dish of chicken,lamb and prawn.
The madras was not spicy and slightly sweet, so didn't really satisfy someone who likes a medium spicy curry. My signature dish is apparently very popular and probably is, but again not for those preferring something that tingles.

All in all we had an enjoyable meal with good service in pleasant surroundings, but if we returned it would be to see what the hotter curries are like. I would rate this restaurant 3.5 out of 5, the extra .5 being for the service and ambiance rather than the food.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We always have a good meal here.
The menu is as you would expect from an Indian Restaurant. The staff are knowledgeable and can help you choose. It is a popular place especially over the weekends.
Service is good. The plates are always hot and you can take home any left overs.
It does provide a take away service too but this does not appear to affect the diners.
I recommend it.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

I had not been here since my last review, which was pretty dire, in 2015. It is now under different management and I cannot speak too highly of it. I believe it is now run by the same people who had Bengal Tiger which was a takeaway, and very good it was too.

I had a favourite Indian restaurant here in Olney but I have to say that the Four Pillars has now risen to the top of my list. Eleven of us dined here a few days ago and the food could not have been better. I’d go back like a shot, and will do as soon as I can. It happened to be one of our group’s birthday and they had gone to so much trouble when we arrived, from balloons and happy birthday signs and provided a lovely cake with candles at the end of our excellent meal. Couldn’t fault the service or the food.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

We use the Four Pillars alot and we can't rate it highly enough. Wether take away or eat in, the food is always fresh and delicious. We've found that other places produce lesser food for take aways...not here. Staff are courteous and polite and always greet warmly. To Babu and the team...well done and keep up the excellent service!

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Since we came here was 2016! We decided to book here for Valentine's day. We were greeted by polite staff. We noticed the orginal staff before had all gone. We were served by a few different staff as opposed to just one person for each section like some other restaurants do. So when my partner asked for chips when placing the order they didn't bring the chips out. Also when we asked for the dessert menu,no one brought it out. So we just asked for the bill. The food was delicious couldn't fault it. They gave me a rose & a box of maltesers,which was a lovely gesture. So the only downfall was being served by all the different staff & missing our plate of chips..minor things & I'm not one to complain. Food was top notch though.