“A refreshing change.”
Review of Poppies Cafe

Poppies Cafe
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Petham
Reviewed 1 October 2015

I took my parents to Poppy's this morning after my mum had been a couple of weeks ago and said how enjoyable it was.
What a change to the previous cafe.
Its bright and fresh. Everywhere was clean and it has a nice look about it.
The menu is basic but offers a good choice. The home made scones looked lovely.
Its very well priced and presented well.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming.
Looking forward to a return visit.

Date of visit: October 2015
2  Thank pauline p

Reviewed 4 April 2015

Butterflies was the name of the cafe/restaurant in Thompson's Garden Centre, Petham. This appears to have been a name change at least. In our latest visit we see that the facility is now called Poppies or Poppys. This is not to be confused with a restaurant in Canterbury of a similar name. We travel to this area as work brings us down often. We have seen the best and the worst of such places. Garden centres generally are much better now than they used to be. This little venue is not as bad as some but still has work to do.

The area is better laid out now, it looks more as a cafe should, there is something more professional about it. I'm sorry, the old Butterflies was tatty and rough. It was pretty and tatty at the same time, being half way between a transport cafe and a church fete catering tent. Having said that, there is something still significantly amiss about this new place too. The staff are doing their best I am sure, but the whole time you are there, you are aware of the overbearing and slightly stressed and distracting voices, mainly from one person, but another person was quite short with us. That's it! There is something rather amateur and depressing about this place - I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The 3 of us decided to hurry our drinks and leave so that the atmosphere didn't get to us. It's a little intense in there. We had basic lunch food and it seemed fine. Clearly there has been good progress at Thompson's but they need to make about a 20% improvement in peace, comfort and personal behaviour in order to meet a standard which I could feel comfortable with. They are at least trying.

Date of visit: March 2015