“All about the view”

The Independent Pedaler
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Bridge
Description: NOT THE PLACE FOR A FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST...but high quality, freshly prepared food sourced from award-winning Kent suppliers.
Reviewed 3 October 2018

We popped in for coffee & cake on a Wednesday as we had some spare time, and sat & enjoyed the view.

The coffee was good quality and was brought out to our outside table fairly quickly along with our 2 slices of coffee & walnut cake. The choice of cake was substantial.

The mugs are small but beautifully made ie you pay premium price for not much actual coffee, and the cakes were delicious. A slight quibble is that the cake was served on a wooden slab which had no extra space for when the cake inevitably fell over. What's wrong with a plate, even an 'artisan' one?

Sitting outside, the view was lovely over the adjoining fields. Enjoy it now as there are plans to develop the land with hundreds of new houses, potentially spoiling the view.

AaronH3039, Owner at The Independent Pedaler, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Hi Matt, Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate your comments. I guess my only observation is pretty much in-keeping what really lies at the foundation of your own comments. The coffee is hope roasted, ground and espresso in the highest quality tooling available and as you say the cups, a labour of love for me are beautifully made to a very specific design built around wall thickness and volume. 8oz is the recognised industry standard for the extraction volume we espress. It is designed to balance the volume of extracted coffee with that of the milk...but I think it is all about understanding the methodology. Every morning we test and recalibrate our Rocket R9 to ensure the 18g of finely ground coffee, extracted over 28-30 seconds delivers 34g of liquid espresso per shot. So in reality what we deliver is by volume more actual coffee than the majority of coffee houses.

In terms of the boards and the cake, well as you say the cake is substantial, you may even go as far as saying very good value? Either way the boards were optimised and hand made by us at our sister company The Oak and Rope Company based upon many years of creating such boards...Maybe i should ask our in house baker to cut smaller slices...but i have to say its the first time anyone has been unhappy about the boards for cakes...then again its impossible to run a business and please everyone all of the time. i am sure you understand where I am coming from.

As for the development, well the plans I think have now been submitted and are available on the Canterbury Council website, I shall watch with interest as to what will happen as the landlord progresses the scheme, but I really don't think it is hundreds of houses or that any of those house that are being built will be directly opposite the cafe? I will wait to review the plans before I can take a clearer view.

Thank you again for your custom and I hope you love our coffee and cake enough to return...

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

I've visited often and really want to love this place so usually ignore the fact that drinks are slow and usually come out after the food. However this occasion was ridiculous. We ordered hot drinks, cakes for the kids, poached eggs for us. The cakes came first. 10 minute wait for the drinks. Then we waited... and waited... and waited. Eggs were another 20 minutes. We'd all finished our drinks, the children had got so bored they went outside to play. I think all food for the whole table should arrive together so that we could eat together. Isn't that the whole point of going out together?

AaronH3039, Manager at The Independent Pedaler, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Hi Jo, I am sorry to hear that you are receiving such a poor service...I have to say this is clearly not in keeping as our many customers feel the service and the products they receive are excellent...As can be seen by the volume of people who flood here on a weekend. In essence that may have been part of the problem on the weekend you were here....

However, you do suggest that this is a consistent experience as you come here often. I suppose the dichotomy is in the fact everything is made from base ingredients with very little being able to be pre prepared. This does place huge pressure on the kitchen but one they always tend to rise to. Obviously the drinks and cakes can be managed first as that is a front of house service and the team have five coffee heads and a range of equally accessible drinks for the children...next to the cake stand.

That doesn't take away from the fact you had to wait for your poached eggs, but I guess it really does come down to how many people were also ordering eggs. Just to give you some insight into the process as understanding that can better inform the progress of the order. You can only poach in the very traditional way we do with 3 to a max of 4 eggs at a time as they swirl in the pan together, you cannot pre-prepare them so it then comes down to how many others are in the check list for the chef to make. But that should not be mitigation for your uninformed wait, a member of the team should have been on hand to give you a heads up as to how long that wait would be...I apologise for that not happening.

To answer your question, I agree, we are not wagamamas so food should be served together. We are also not Macdonalds and therefore it does take time to work with quality ingredients and deliver them following a proper and co ordinated process. So I will talk to the team about ensuring people are better informed as to wait times, and I would ask you to ensure that the staff know that you would prefer your drinks and children's food to arrive all together. We can then all accept that there will be a delay in the process when we are extremely busy but at the same time no one is compromising the pursuit of quality and enjoyment.

On that basis I hope you can pop back in and test the system and maybe we will all find a way to love this place.

Just on a side note, if I am correct, you did raise this issue with the shift manager on the day and she did give you a full refund for which you stated you were perfectly happy!

Reviewed 28 September 2018

7 of us went for friday breakfast,as our usual host was ill
Marvellous place.Imaginative Lovely food and service
Orchards and fields surround the place which is busy
Good parking
Avoid the weekends when it and surrounding roads are taken over by hordes of cyclists(,unless you are on a bike)

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

I visited with my sister who raved about the place and has visited a number of times. It has a cycling 'vibe' but when we visited the majority of people where not cyclists. I had a sausage roll which I suspect was made on the premises and was very tasty, not a processed fatty job,followed by a very generous slice of carrot cake which was lovely. The staff where all friendly and the service was quick. The Americano coffee I had was very nice, a good flavour and strong but not bitter. Clearly they know their beans. The choice of coffees was good but I had hoped they had a Cortado as this is my favourite but unfortunately not ( hint,hint). The interior design was very nice with different areas to sit, including a mezzanine level with comfy swivel chairs. Outside there are benches and deckchairs to sit on
As a keen cyclist I was very interested in the bikes hanging from the walls and the extensive library of cycling books and magazines to browse. The cups that the coffee was served in where very nice and I asked if they sold them but fortunately not as they had been custom made in Denmark. How about some merchandise Like mugs and t-shirts? I would definitely buy them as I loved the style of the logo etc. All in all a very nice time and next time we will be riding there for more coffee and cake. Keep up the good work.

I

Reviewed 10 September 2018

Sometimes you feel like keeping a little secret all to yourself - This one I must share, it is tucked away in the Countryside and is a pure delight- I will not elaborate but leave the traveller to discover this gem for themselves.