“Sumptuous pies”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2017

My wife and I visited The Black Pig for the first time since it was re-opened a while ago. It was a Saturday evening and, on arrival, it seemed pretty busy which is always a good sign. The restaurant was about half full.

We didn't have starters but instead dived straight into main courses. I had a steak & chorizo pie with chips & mixed veg and my wife had a salmon tart with new potatoes and salad. My pie was very large with lots of filling and a rich sauce, chips were fine and the red cabbage in the mixed veg was pickled, which was an unexpected but nice twist. My wife's was equally good.

If I had a criticism it would be that there didn't seem to be air conditioning in the restaurant so it got really quite hot and I imagine it will be sweltering in the summer, even with the doors to the garden open.

Overall, it was excellent value for money and I'd definitely go back to try a different pie.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

My wife and I visited the Black Pig on a Friday Night for dinner. The atmosphere was wonderful, the food was truly amazing, so fresh, homemade and portion size did more than satisfy a big bloke like me (no room for a pud). The service was spot on, all the serving staff were very attentive. I cannot recommend the Black Pig more highly, lovely local village pub/restaurant, great food at a fantastic price. Best place I have been to for a long while. Congratulations to all at the Black Pig - I will be back!

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Went for Saturday night dinner with the family, and it was the first time we had all been. Charlotte was our waitress - professional but friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and above all patient with all our decision making! The menu was extensive and covered everything we could want. The quality of the food was excellent, and value for money superb. A very clean and friendly dining area.
What a shame the current owners are leaving - it is running so well.
Thank you for a great family meal!

Reviewed 19 April 2017

My wife and I popped in here after a 4 mile walk on Bank Holiday Monday, 17th April 2017 and were glad we did. Service was immediate as there were plenty of smiling staff about. They were busy but we got a nice table for two. A good selection of ales and lagers was available.
We ordered rabbit pie and chicken, leak and bacon pudding with mixed vegetables. This was delivered surprisingly quickly and they were both delicious and plenty big enough too. So much so there was no need for dessert.
We left for the walk back having paid a very reasonable bill and hoping we could walk off the increase in weight!

The reason I only gave it 4 stars was that we had previously visited in the winter and the table we sat at by one of the windows was a chilly spot so had to eat with jackets on. The food and service was still good however.

We would happily return again.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

Three of us cycled into Staple with the Black Pig as our lunch stop. We expected great things as the reviews were so good. We try to Lunch at a different Kent pub every week. This one ticks all our boxes. Warm welcome, great food, terrific value, friendly and very efficient service. One big problem! The landlady and her partner, who have developed this business from nothing 14 months ago into the dream pub it is today, are leaving in July.
We strongly advise the new incumbents to change NOTHING!

Been to The Black Pig? Share your experiences!