All reviews marmalade takes you straight nearby wedding choice of cooked breakfast fresh fruit b and b bus stop place to stay plenty of parking canterbury area clean bathroom peace and quiet selection of cereals relaxing stay little touches full english breakfast stayed here for one night
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We booked for two nights and had a very pleasant stay. Was near enough to Canterbury city centre to visit and cheap enough for taxis, but far enough from the noise and hustle and bustle. Quiet clean and friendly, the owners were lovely and Molly the dog was very sweet. Full English breakfast was amazing! Great quality with a selection of fresh fruit, yogurts, cereal and the most delicious home made jams. They even found me some beans both mornings, despite them not being on the menu. Would definitely return!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Four nights was not enough.
What a great place.
Wonderful management and a great breakfast.
Excellent amenities.
But, oh dear, the electricity was off one evening when we returned about 8pm..... the management produced a nice bottle of red and some eats and we joined them and another couple to solve the problems of the world.
Plenty of parking, a mini-supermarket/liquor store/post office just a few steps next door, not to mention The Evenhill restaurant 500 metres up the road (see other reviews) meant this was one of our best stays at an English B&B.
Highly recommended, and the welcoming and ongoing friendliness of the management could not be faulted.
(And I'm sorry but we failed to inspect the back of the convenience for cleanliness or comb the carpet for black hairs but I an quite sure it was spotless and 'they weren't my hairs!!)

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be fairly quiet given the design of the property. If you think it may be an issue request rooms at the rear of the B&B.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
foodyKent, Owner at The Pilgrims Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thank you for your lovely review,.it was very annoying with the electricity and we have had stern words with the company, not that it will make any difference! Pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again next time you are in the UK Regards Denise

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

If you want to find serenity this is the place to be.lovely clean hotel and friendly and helpful owners. Breakfast was great and plenty to choose from. Will definitely return for another visit as the area and scenery is next to none.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Hotel quaint and old with a pleasing exterior. Parking good behind hotel and never experienced any problems in this regard. Breakfast menus and food was fine. Cleanliness possibly an issue- base and back of toilet could have been cleaner in one room and one of the other rooms had black hairs on the carpet. Staff attitude not best ever. When my sons girlfriend asked for a banana of which there was a selection in a fruit bowl in the foyer, she was told no she could not have one and she should have come down for breakfast!!. Also, i had a problem after leaving the property. I will review the facts. Upon leaving the guest house i had inadvertently left a carrier bag with six mixed pairs of shoes and sandals and a pair of slippers in the wardrobe. The morning after i realised my error. Initially i thought i had sent the bag back home with other items but late afternoon i received confirmation that this was not the case. I then contacted the guest house to be told that they had given three pairs of shoes to a Charity Shop but still had the others!!. It was now too late to retrieve the shoes. After a lot of unpleasantness, rudeness and the total uncooperative attitude of the owner, i contacted the police. The owner did say that it was not up to them to chase people up who leave things and he admitted that he had not tried to contact me although he had my details. The Police spoke to the owner who confirmed to them that the shoes had been given to a Charity Shop and named the shop to them. (Previous to this the owner refused to name the shop to me). The next day i had to go to Canterbury Police Station to collect all seven items. The Guest House was well situated for the reason myself and family travelled to Canterbury on this occasion. Canterbury itself is a beautiful and historical city, well situated to visit many Grand Houses and Gardens and other attractions. If none of the above bad experiences had occurred i feel sure that we would have enjoyed the stay. I and my family travel to the Canterbury area quite frequently and will never ever consider staying at this Guest House again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzitraveller1
foodyKent, Owner at The Pilgrims Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Susan W,
Your comments have been brought to my attention.
On the subject of fruit from our fruit bowl in the reception area ( i am almost embarrassed that I have to defend myself when the fruit bowl is an extra courtesy to our guests), your sons girlfriend had previously helped herself to a selection of fruit when she did not come in to breakfast, on the day in question there was one banana left and she did not want it as its skin was marked and asked my wife for another one but we had no more bananas although there was other fruit to choose from, you commented that "she does like her food" and my wife said she should come down to breakfast.
Now having got that inanity over I will get down to a review of the facts as you put it.
When you had vacated your room we found a carrier bag of assorted plastic packaging plastic bags and a number of shoes, as our last conversation as you left was to the effect that you were going to Hastings for a few days and then on somewhere else as you were on your own it did not seem very useful to call the only phone number we had which was your home number.
Her I must admit, we should not have assumed the shoes were surplus to requirements just because of their condition and the other materials in the bag and taken three pairs to a shop for a local charity that we support.
You called us late afternoon and my wife outlined the situation and you were justifiably annoyed but when you suggested the shoes were very valuable we did initially think it was some sort of scam as they had price marks indicating they were bought in a sale, one pair was priced at £14.00, we could not contact the shop as it was after closing time but told you we would drive in and put a note through the door and be outside first thing in the morning before they opened to retrieve them. You then phoned us a number of times to vent your spleen but there was nothing we could do until the morning.
We then got a call from Canterbury Police Station to say you had accused us of stealing your shoes, I explained the situation and the policeman appreciated there had been a overreaction and I said I would contact him the next morning when we had all the shoes.
The Next morning we retrieved the shoes and as the policeman was unobtainable (he was not on duty until the afternoon) I felt it was more appropriate to take all the shoes to the Police Station for you to collect, which you did.
Overall a story that has almost become a novella.
My I finally say we appreciate our actions were hasty but so was your overreaction to something that just needed a little time to resolve.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at Pilgrims rest whilst visiting Howletts animal park, we could not have chosen a better place to stay, the owners are so friendly and welcoming, as soon as we entered the reception area we knew it would be good such charm, the rooms are bright clean and everything you need, the bed was so comfortable and in the morning the breakfast was delicious. We will definitely stay again and we highly recommend this charming B&B

Room Tip: All rooms very peaceful
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janice b
foodyKent, Owner at The Pilgrims Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments so pleased you enjoyed your stay look forward to your next visit!