“Fanore Beach”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$55.24*
and up
Shore Excursion: Cliffs of Moher Day Tour Along...
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Fanore
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I went to Fanore beach as part of a project. The Geoparks Life Universal Access Programme in partnership with the Streetwise Programme, Brothers of Charity, Ennis for the National Parks. I was gathering information about sites and giving my input on the experience from the perspective of a person with a disability. My first impression was it was lovely. It was a nice day and you could see the Aran Islands and Connemara clearly. I liked it because I love North Clare and it was sort of my home place, in my Parish. I have been to Fanore beach once before. The beach is very sandy, and it has a blue flag so you can swim there, but be careful of Dusty the dolphin. There is a path down to a viewing area. It was fantastic. The path down to the beach is a bit narrow and steep you have to be able bodied and very careful to walk down. Tony Kirby from ‘Heart of the Burren Walks’ was our guide for the day and he gave us information about Fanore beach, plants and animals there and the local community.

I would go there again and recommend it to other people but I think a couple of things that could be improved. There should be a wall or a fence along the path to the dunes because it was like a little cliff and you could get hurt. I also think there should be someone at the life guard booth at all times, just in case.

Date of experience: May 2014
in 19 reviews
"lifeguards"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 5 June 2014

large beach of golden sand not too steeply sloping and perfectly safe for a great paddle! Having been there before 1st June, we were able to take the dogs, who absolutely loved having a great run

Date of experience: May 2014
2  Thank Wally and Lorna D
Reviewed 22 May 2014

i love fanore beach. it's wild and magnificent. the burren is always always so incredibly beautiful and affecting. there's something about the energy there. my family and i go there twice a year and hire a mobile in mccormack's caravan park. we love it there. the children love it there. the dogs love it there. the caravan park allows dogs on site. it's really like a home away from home. the beach itself has loads and loads of sand dunes once you cross over the little river half way cross beach. really worth walking over by the huge boulders. great place to spend some time and get some head space. it's a great place to surf and body board. it has a life guard during the summer season. watch out for weaver fish, their stink is awful, need boiling water to draw out poison. horrible and very painful. only around at certain tide times, i don't know when, so i wear surf shoes mostly. it's in my top 3 beaches in the west. coumonole on the dingle penninsula and coral beach in connemara are other 2. you can eat in local pub. there's a lovely local shop and cafe and ballyvaughan is literally around the corner. the drive or cycle there is really worth seeing. the burren is my all time favourite and life changing place in the world.

Date of experience: April 2014
1  Thank whitefaerie
Reviewed 24 April 2014

What a hidden gem it is! It has the brownest sand that I've ever seen, and a short walk along the flat rocks is possible for visitors of all ages.

Date of experience: April 2014