All reviews hot tub howler monkeys forest sounds provide fans jaguar rescue center puerto viejo rented bikes curtains insects lodge wildlife nature caribbean beach luxury path nets
Reviewed 23 August 2017

The rooms are quite awful, the sheets, the courtains all have stains that makes the room seems quite dirty. The bathroom shakes, it is not a fixed structure, the toilet had leaks through its base, quite disgusting by the way, cause the floor was wet. The lack of maintenance is quite obvious, the trails between the different rooms disperse through the forest, are made with wood that are very rotten, so it is a hazard to walk without getting hurt.

The hotel is way to expensive for its currently state. The pictures use are way too old, maybe taken when it first open.

Do not recommed it at all.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Puerto viejo has struggled a lot to remain truthful to its roots, hence the very nature of this hotel has it merits to adhere to this. Indeed the hotel has its years and needs some touches of renovation, although I do prefer these bungalows to the regular (ugly) white walls of a big chained-brand hotel.
Sleeping to the sound of crickets and cicadas and waking up to howler monkeys surpasses minor details over all.
Easy access to almost a private beach with hammocks and chairs is really nice.

Room Tip: Buy from the local craft makers so they keep their economy going
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AxCvMr
Reviewed 8 March 2017

It seems the hotel was great before. I am under the impression that it has been abandoned due to the big size it has. The attention from personnel at the lobby who greeted us, was great. Although the rest of personnel looked without motivation. The hotel facilities are not perfect, they had to cover the bungalows with a green canvas and that totally lost their natural touch. Inside the rooms, the bathrooms are uncomfortable, as it is kind of a cabin that moves too much and it feels insecure. The bathroom faucets had rust as well as the safe, not enough towels, bed matress in bad condition, below the boungalows you could see old pipes and electrical cables. My reservation included breakfast and didn´t meet my expectations, it wasn´t good. You can get to the beach walking inside hotel grounds, but they recommend not to enter sea right in front of hotel, but at the sides, as at the center there are dangerous currents. The only thing I did like was that at night I could hear the hauling monkeys. I beleive the rates are expensive for hotel quality.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank EMILE D
Reviewed 16 February 2017

We arrived just after dusk and we were met by Aurora and Ariana who lead us to our room. They noticed immediately that I was having trouble walking and changed our room to one that had a ramp. The Caribbean and the Almonds and Corals Lodge is cool 24/7, comfortably cool! We even used a light blanket at bedtime. No need for air-conditioning.

Breakfast was excellent and our dinners were superb! Our food servers, Christopher and Yolanda treated us like royalty. The chef blended amazing fruits and vegetables with shrimp, pork or chicken entrees.

Marco and Aurora, the proprietors, cater to your every need. They make sure the rooms are clean and intact! We were pleasantly surprised that there were no bothersome insects. The beach is pristine and you have it all to yourself.

Best Valentines experience in the Jungle!

Don Juan and Carole

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artsanmiguel
Reviewed 12 November 2016

Upon our arrival, I was a little shocked to see that Almonds and Corals' rooms were individual cabins without walls - screens and curtains. After the initial shock wore off, I was pleasantly surprised how well I adapted to being surrounded by jungle. We awoke to howler monkeys. The owner of the property, whose name escapes me, was gracious and so inviting. He made our stay delightful. We highly recommend this hotel for those looking for a unique experience.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple