See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 May 2016

First, I want to compliment Raphael and Jovanni who are employed in the dive operation. Raphael adapted the dive plan and execution to fit our Advanced and experienced dive status. The dive boat itself needs upgrading, and is uncomfortable as currently equipped. The diving is not exceptional. Second, I want to mention that Tio, who did the cooking, and Carmen, who served, were very friendly and seemed to want to make our experience a good one. Lastly, I offer my opinion that the owners, who reside quite a distance away, seem to have no pride whatsoever in their resort, nor concern for the comfort of their customers. Our room lacked hot water, the shower dripped and was rusty, the a/c was noisy, there was no cover on the bed, we were asked to deposit our used toilet paper in a bin that was never cleaned of its contents, and the bed was uncomfortable. We left earlier than originally planned, had to make special arrangements just to get our bill, and cannot recommend this resort due to its general lack of maintenance and repair.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Breyoot
Reviewed 27 December 2014

We chose this hotel as it was mentioned as #1 in Portobelo. What a mistake! We should have listened to the people calling it a dump. This is easily the worst place I have ever stayed at, and I have stayed at countless hotels in less reputable countries. From the minute we walked Inside of our room, we were disgusted by the foul smell of mould. As mentioned by other, the windows cannot be opened so you are stuck with the smell. The bathroom shower has two modes: cold and burning. Nothing in between. The room did not feel clean. The breakfast was very very basic egg, toast and coffee. I can't believe we paid 75 USD for this. Maybe if we paid 25 I would have given it one more star.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank OuterLimitTraveller
Reviewed 21 December 2014

I had high hopes that this would be as impressive as the website promised. From the moment I arrived, the only thing I could think of was how to escape. The food was awful, the rooms were uncomfortable, the scuba gear was unfit for service, the staff was invisible. The best part of the visit was seeing the place in the rear view mirror.

Room Tip: Bring your own car so you can leave
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank NJFG
Reviewed 19 September 2014

I recently spent 2 days at the Octopus Garden Hotel. The location cannot be beat! its right on the water with a reef just in front of the hotel. The service is what makes this place great, The food is great with an amazing selection and a fully stocker bar.

The rooms are basic but more than enough for the use. I would definitely stay here again, and if you are looking for a great diving experience so should you!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We found the place welcoming and felt more at home in the first ten minutes than we did at many of the other places we stayed. We loved the fresh fruit batidas and the very thoughtful service which took into account any unique requests that we made.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple