“Great Sunday lunch”

Ranked #50 of 461 Restaurants in Bromley
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family run bistro with a warm welcome. Herbert's is a great place to meet family & friends for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Creative food, lovely setting, happy vibe. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and dairy free friendly.
Reviewed 14 May 2018

Significantly better than 'just a Sunday roast lunch' with significant artistry, both in the cooking and presentation.

Three courses was very filling. We had roast pork, roast chicken and roast lamb. Excellent meat.

friendly and casual (eg staff in jeans)

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 1 April 2018

What a lovely ambience music, lighting and design of seating and dining area. We were looked after by a lovely waitress who was attentive and very engaging. Myself and my husband ordered Jerusalem artichoke soup and sadly if the aforementioned vegetable had been dipped in dish water this would have been the only contact with the bowls of soup we were served. The vegetarian main was delicious and well presented. My friend was served gelatinous pygmy scallops. Unfortunately her not so fine dinning experience continued the main course was delayed then served when we had finished eating and was found to be both minuscule and tepid. The waitress returned it to the kitchen for a second time and it was served again once nuked in the microwave. We did not pay for this dish when the bill came . I would describe the portion size as good if you had recently had a gastric band and unfortunately overpriced for the quantity presented.

Date of visit: March 2018
6  Thank Bennett1234
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Booked Herbert's for dinner, a party of 6, first impressions were good very pleasant staff and the place had a nice ambience. The menu is average and if I'm honest overpriced.

The starters were very small portions considering the average cost is about £8.00 my wife ordered scallops 3 very small scallops arrived, 2 friends had the tasteless Jerusalem artichoke soup, I ordered the terrine which was ok but a minuscule portion.

The main courses were served without my wife's, the explanation being the chef had burnt the crackling, my main was good the others served were average. We had all finished when my wife's dinner was served, unbelievably it was cold. It was sent back clearly reheated the potatoes were awful and the frozen peas disgusting, because of this debacle they did not charge for her main course.

Friends had ordered broccoli, when the main course was served informed sorry no broccoli left therefore another wait for an alternative vegetable.

All the mains were small in size the triple cooked chips all 6 of them were good. They do have a good choice of vegetarian main course dishes.

The young girl who served us was delightful she was very friendly and apologetic she was the best thing about Herberts.

The wine list is ok but again an average bottle of red is £28.00, we had house red and white which was a good choice, I would not indulge them by paying ridiculous prices for pretty average wine.

Cheese board £11.75 was nice but again 4 crackers and very small portions. No other desserts were ordered.

The bill arrived it was £314.00 an average of £52 per person, in my view really poor value for money, I really do not mind paying fir decent food but this was way below average.

It's a real shame Herberts wasn't better I had high expectations but was badly let down, the young girl who served us was the best part of the whole experience, would we go back I really don't think so.

Date of visit: April 2018
4  Thank Paul1637597
Reviewed 20 March 2018

We enjoyed a nice Sunday lunch recently for a group of seven. Limited menu choice (a set Mothers' Day menu) but what was served was very good. Plenty of wine choices and the staff were good. A tad pricey, but you expect that on an "occasion".

They were fitting three sittings over the course of the day, so we had to vacate our 1pm table by 3.30pm. No big deal for us, but on another day?

Overall, they got the main things right - nice setting, good food and good service.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Met with a group of friends for dinner recently. Had heard great things about Herberts & was expecting really good food. It is a good menu - lots of choice. I had salt n' spicy calamari for a starter which was nice followed by the winter veg lasagne which was very warming. Those that ordered steak enjoyed it. We must have waited about 20 minutes for dessert menus. The service was very slow - ok if you want wine but otherwise, slow. I found it quite expensive for what we ate - it looked nice but lacked substance.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank Elizabeth N
AngelaHerbert-Bell, Owner at Herberts, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Dear Elizabeth, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I must apologise if you felt the service a little slow. We do make everything in house from scratch. We buy nothing in and our steaks are of a very good quality. Sincerely hope you try us again. Best wishes, Angela