“Very overrated”

Price range: US$13 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Fat Goose gives you a country restaurant and bar,situated in the rural village of Tendring we can offer a relaxed country escape just off the A120, about 15 minutes drive from Colchester, Harwich, or the Coastal towns of Finton and Clacton. We are delighted to announce that we have retained our AA rosette for culinary excellence for the eighth consecutive year. The restaurant serves classic dishes with a modern twist and reflects the seasonal availability. The menu is enhanced with frequently changing specials and everything is prepared on site using fresh local produce. Try our "Lunch with Chef", this menu gives no choice but superb value and offers you the chance to try innovative dishes at a very realistic price We pride ourselves in serving food of the highest standard in a relaxed and unpretentious style. Coffees, teas and snacks are also available plus an enticing selection of unique and unusual gifts. Our onsite florist will also take orders plus of course we offer a varied display of planters and fresh flowers. We are a family owned and operated restaurant and welcome well behaved children and offer baby changing facilities, highchairs and booster seats. The children's menu offers dishes prepared to the same high standards using totally natural ingredients. We have a garden and terrace for the warmer weather where you can dine alfresco and during the cooler months the restaurant offers a cosy warm, candle lit ambiance We look forward to welcoming you to The Fat Goose at Tendring
Reviewed 4 February 2017

I was expecting a lot when I arrived here but honestly the food was not all that, I sent it back, it's very overrated and over priced!!

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Lovestraveling81

Reviewed 19 September 2016

very good food and exceptional staff, will visit again when in that area, the trip is quite a way from where we live so we canno tvisit as often as we would like.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 12 July 2016

Had also heard the restaurant had closed, what a pity. We had some fantastic meals here and the staff were great.The best restaurant in the area. Not sure whether the Owner/Chef reads this, but if he does thank you for everything. Hope you will be successful elsewhere or in whatever else you choose to do.

Date of visit: June 2016
7  Thank Bambi212
Reviewed 10 July 2016

just been told the fat goose has closed - cant believe it as
we had a brilliant meal there with friends.

Date of visit: April 2016
3  Thank elaine b
Reviewed 9 June 2016

My wife had been to "The Fat Goose" many years before and was very impressed. On the first Saturday evening of June and our one treat a month we decided to splash out. On this occasion she was very unimpressed and having recommended it she was mortified at the cost of the meal and the standard of it which at best could be considered akin to a truckers café(Well 1960's truckers café.). 28 day steak was thin and flavourless and filled with fat. If it had been a decent sized piece of steak it wouldn't have mattered to much but, when its 10% of your steak!!!. I brought it to the attention of the waitress."Apparently that's normal" The pepper sauce was thin and watery. I couldn't taste the pepper. The hand prepared chips were a joke and must have come from the smallest potatoes available. The small pieces that you get at the bottom of a supermarket chip bag were present on the plate. These normally get binned before even being cooked in my house. I did bring this to the attention of the waitress who just said they were "hand cut". If they are hand cut then you start by cutting the side pieces so that they are thicker. Well in my house we do(I do)
The wife had dauphinoise potato's which consisted of two lumps of circular potato which were raw and undercooked. They were sent back for cooking and returned a third shorter than when they went. My plate which went back to the kitchen to wait for my wife's returned with the fat removed. I didn't ask for it to be removed.
Of course, despite these issues, no reduction of cost was made for the inconvenience. Not even an offer of a free drink.
On the plus side the French bread was warmed and the butter nice and soft. All in all not bad in a bill of £68.00 for two. That included one beer and a bottle of house plonk.
If they wish to respond to my comments and make amends they have my details.

Date of visit: June 2016