“Uncrowded, Clothing Optional, Ideal”
Review of Happy Bay Beach

Happy Bay Beach
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Dutch side offers one clothing optional beach, Cupecoy, which seems to be frequented by locals just hanging around. The very small beach is frequently eroded by storms, rests beneath small cliffs from which locals appear to view sunbathers below - a fairly uncomfortable situation.

The French side offers the usually crowded Orient Beach where nearly everyone on the southern end is nude, no cameras allowed and everyone seems extraordinarily comfortable. Visit the bar when the bell is rung around 2 PM for 2-for-1 drinks.

Happy Bay Beach, for us, was really quite nice. No crowds, clothing optional, all ages. The path to the beach is just that - a path. It's easy to follow, does take about 10 minutes to get to the beach and is rocky, but not difficult. As others have stated, there are no facilities except a picnic shelter. A single vendor may be on-site to sell beer or food, if you don't wait until the end of the day to purchase!

Depending on the day of your visit, you may see Captain Alan's clothing optional tour guests taking their mud bath in the early afternoon. You may also see a children's birthday party nearby - quite a contrast which seems to bother no one.

3  Thank Emigrator
in 30 reviews
"beach"
in 200 reviews

Reviewed 16 April 2012

You have to park at Friar's Bay beach and then hike over a hill...about 1/2 mile to get to Happy Bay. The beach is OK, nothing special...it's secluded, but there were some people camping out on the beach that made it seem kind of sketchy. The only place to escape the sun for a bit is under some trees and that's where all the ants are.

A couple tips if you're going to do the hike...figure out how to get to the Friar's Bay parking lot that is on the far right of that beach...so you don't have to walk all the way across that beach because there is an outlet to a swamp/lagoon behind the beach that smells like raw human sewage is stored there. I'm not joking. It's the worst smell ever. And the hike over the hilltop..I would recommend something other than flip-flops - it's pretty rocky, there's also a lot of trees and stuff that are very prickly - so be careful.

5  Thank zivo24
Reviewed 2 April 2012

No restaurants or beach chairs but a good spot to snorkel!

2  Thank Francesca L
Reviewed 5 March 2012

On the advice of friends I headed to this beach. I'm not a huge "stay on the beach all day" person, but I think I could live at Happy Bay Beach.

Access is via a walking trail from Friar's Bay Beach, just head north through the wooded area above the beach and keep walking (and following the occasional orange spray-painted arrows) until you reach Happy Bay.

There are no permanent services; when I was there there was one man who made towels and umbrellas available; I think he had drinks too. Since I'd brought my own towels and drinks, I didn't even speak with him.

I'd be surprised If there were more than 20 other people on this very private arc of a beach. The sand was powdery and straw-colored, the water calm and blue, and there were plenty of places to find shade for a while if I needed it.

The beach appears to be popular with nudists, as at least half the people there (mostly couples in their 30's - 50's) were completely nude the whole time. Since the beach was so huge and empty, this was a non-factor.

Note that every guide I've read says to take EVERYTHING with you from your car (if you arrive by car); I've heard stories of broken car locks and windows. I can't verify that as I had no problem with crime while I was in St. Martin, and I walked to Happy Bay Beach from my hotel.

I don't recommend this beach for small kids because of the lack of facilities and the hike it takes to get there. But if you're looking for solitude with a perfect slice of Caribbean sun and sand, I can't imagine a better spot.

7  Thank jjj13104