“Excellent stay in very cosy pub”
Review of The White Dog Inn

The White Dog Inn
Price range: US$13 - US$54
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The White Dog Inn is a family-run country pub, serving good food and real ales. We do our best to source local, seasonal produce and have a seasonal menu, as well as specials. We offer bar, restaurant, outdoor or private dining and will do our very best to cater to our customers' needs. Children are welcome and we provide high chairs and a children's menu. Dogs are welcome in the bar area, but must be kept on a lead. If they are well behaved, we even have a tin of treats! Regular live music nights are put on and can be found on our Facebook page or website. We also host a Pizza Night on Thursdays where you can enjoy a freshly prepared pizza made in our very own pizza oven!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a very authentic and historic pub with a very friendly staff. We stayed there for two nights in a quiet and comfortable room. The restaurant is very good and we had delicious lamb for dinner, followed by two (!) very tasty Irish coffees. We loved the countryside and the nice views. Definitely a place to remember and to return to.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We randomly tapped on the white dog inn when a pub let us down in the local area and well, we were blown out of the water. The pub itself was decorated fantastically and fitted well with being very much out in the sticks. Has a very cosy warm feel to it and the food... well I’ve never tasted food like it from a pub. The menu, starters, mains and desserts were all just incredible and well presented. Not only that but everything they sell on the menu is so local they may as well have just got it from the car park. Couldn’t rate the friendliness of the staff and atmosphere highly enough. Will be returning in the very near future!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

It was a last minute decision to visit the White Dog. Due to the weather conditions (snow) we didn't want to try to get to Rye itself.

They were offering scallops but not quite in way I wanted them. In my mind I wanted them fried and with black pudding or chorizo. They were happy to oblige.

In all we found the service good and friendly. The atmosphere good. We will return.

2  Thank D B
Reviewed 28 February 2018

We have visited several times and each visit has been fine.
Unfortunately our recent visit was very disappointing.
Starters were fine but when it came to the main meal I found a long black hair half way through my meal not pleasant and certainly not mine, after being told the head chef was bald so they don't know how it got in there (not my problem how really) I got offered a token gesture of refund our drinks (couple of soft drinks), not even the meal refunded!
Plus the other meal wasn't the best being under cooked and very oily, the onion ring being sodden with oil which we were told was garlic butter.
Not the best customer service, as well as being told about current staff issues which I thought was extremely unprofessional..
Not ones to make a fuss we just paid the remaining bill and left but unfortunately we won't be recommending this place again.

thewhitedogewhurst, Owner at The White Dog Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2018

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Found a long hair in fish main meal.
Onion ring yes only one, dripping in oil as were the chips.
Terrible don’t do it.

(copied from review above) Dear Kimmy 69 (and also the Peter below as you were both in for lunch together) Thank you for taking the time to post this review... however i'm afraid 'The customer is not always right'. On entering the pub you asked if you could have a light lunch, which my waitress showed you our light bite options, you then looked at our menu and decided to have a 2 course meal, which is wonderful. Regarding the hair which you found in you food, which was the cod and risotto, i'm afraid to say that our chef in completely bald and the waitress has short blonde hair, and also we do have CCTV and you yourself have long black hair which was actually in a plait that day down one side. Regarding the token gesture- soft drinks, this is all you had to drink and my waitress who is extremely professional and experienced though this was sufficient regarding the facts thats day. Regarding the steak looking back at your order (which we can do as it is all stored on a computer ) your partner ordered a RARE steak so to then post online that the steak was under cooked I seem slightly strange, if you wish to have had a medium steak then please order medium in future. Regarding you saying that it was oily... embarrassingly my waitress did point out to you that it does state in our menu that it does come with garlic butter, as she actually had to bring the menu back over to you for you to read it again. The onion ring is deep fried in our homemade batter????????? I completely trust my staffs decisions and on that day considering most of our staff could not get into work I am so grateful for the TWO members of staff that I had on that day for doing such a fantastic job as it turned out to be such a busy lunch for them I do think its a shame that you will not be returning to us. If you wish to contact me any further regarding your visit then please email me direct. Regards Harriet