“Unique Edfu temple ”

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Edfu
More attraction details
Owner description: Construction on what is the largest and best preserved Ptolemaic temple in Egypt began in 237 BC by Ptolemy III Euergetes.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Temple of Edfu. This Ptolemaic temple, built between 237 and 57 BC, is one of the best-preserved ancient monuments in Egypt. Preserved by desert sand, which filled the place after the pagan cult was banned, the temple is dedicated to Horus, the avenging son of Isis and Osiris. With its roof intact, it is also one of the most atmospheric of ancient buildings. You will need to ride the horse carriage to the temple if you come from the cruise. Impressive temple.

All reviews
"abu simbel"
in 6 reviews
"ancient egyptians"

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This is possibly the most well preserved temple in all of Egypt. The structure was so solid and beautiful that neither the Greeks, nor the Romans, nor the Persians made any efforts to dismantle it. Instead, they used it as a fort and so the entire temple is in excellent condition, including the mud brick wall around the temple complex. There is a room which has recipes of perfumes engraved on the walls, and I swear it smells of perfume :)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I love Horus!!
after seeing his temple I worship him!!!
this visit is recommended to all human kind!!!!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I came here on a boiling hot March afternoon with my tour guide ... We were literally the only people here as this temple is quite far out and seems not visited often.

The outside looks pristine, but when you walk inside the actual temple it is still covered a lot in black caused from when it was used as a church. They are cleaning it slowly, but there is a long way to go. The exterior however gives many angles for amazing pictures.

You can buy tickets at the entrance and they only take cash. I stayed about an hour which was more than enough.

Walking out there are some vendors ... when they see a tourist their prices skyrocket and I actually got very angry as they were wanting to charge me 20 times the normal rates ... needless to say I left without buying anything.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

We took a horse-drawn carriage to Edfu from our Nile Cruise. We were there around closing time so most people were gone or leaving, which was nice. Edfu was very interesting! The hieroglyphs were beautiful and there was lots to explore in the complex. We brought our toddler in a stroller and it was manageable. There are some areas and stairs that aren’t accessible by stroller, but I’m glad we did it! I recommend.