Relais de la Haute Sambre(Thuin)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$65
US$63
US$56
US$54
La Tour Des Lys(Maubeuge)
US$72
US$88
  • Bar/Lounge
US$56
US$50
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 September 2014

This review is only about the restaurant.

For the price we paid, well over 100€ per person, I would have expected that the service at this restaurant would match the price. However, the service was extremely slow, to the point that we thought our order had been forgotten. We had one of the set-menus and instead of getting the food we ordered we had to go through 4 hors d'oeuvres offered by the house, which is very welcome in any restaurant, however, this went on for about an hour until the first service of the menu arrived. And from that point onwards there was no rythme in the serving of the menu, one dish would arrive late, followed immediately by the other, then waiting again for 45 minutes for the main course, by which time we could not eat any more, followed by dessert in the space of 5 minutes.

The worse of all was the drinks service. We had to ask to have our glasses refilled with water and there was no refill of wine whatsoever, despite the package we got for matching wines with the set menu. In other restaurants you get your wine glasses refilled throughout the meal. When the water run out nobody would offer to bring another bottle.

The menu, although elaborated, was admittedly light so despite finishing our meal at midnight we were able to get a good night's sleep. The chef has a nice touch, but what is that worth if everything else doesn't work right?

The serving staff seemed to be overworked and having cought a glimpse of the other areas of the restaurant it is my understanding that more serving staff is urgently needed, if the owner wishes to keep a good standard and a good reputation.

The decor is minimalist and pleasant and the setting in this old priory gives a cosy atmosphere.

It was our first time in this restaurant but no effort was made to make us feel that extra touch. On the other hand we saw the chef and the serving staff being overly nice to other clients, who were probably regulars, with one member of staff frequently stopping to serve other tables includng our own in order to have long chats with the favourite clients. I can tell you that this does not show well in a restaurant, because all clients, old and new want to feel special, especially if they have driven for many kilometers to get to this restaurant which is situated in a small village away from the major cities.

For the reasons mentioned above I am not returning to this place and I will unfortunately not recommend it either. I also feel that it was a rip-off for the price we paid.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed one night and had an all-inclusive dinner-bed-breakfast option.
The dinner experience was superb. Dinner ran to four very pleasant hours, from multiple amuse bouches through excellent fish and meat, an outstanding cheese board and desserts. Our menu package included wine and the wines offered were interesting, with well-chosen offerings from unusual locations around France. (Although the menu stipulated a specific number of glasses of wine, in fact our glasses were generously refilled throughout the meal.) Service was super-attentive, in a very comfortable and attractive room.
Breakfast likewise was excellent, lovely breads and meats and unusual fruit juices.
I left an ipad in our room when checking out. Very generously, the hotel called me to let me know, offered to courier it to me in the UK where I live, and refused to let me reimburse them for the postage. They even donated one of the hotel's towels to wrap the ipad to protect it during transit!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Wonderfully converted abeybuilding into restaurant with 6 rooms. Top class restaurant with a chef that absolutely sticks out. Nice surroundings, wonderful rooms. We had a great time there, the only thing you need to take into account is booking the room(s) well in advance, especially if you want to stay over for a weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We had a one-night stay in the 'Hostellerie' combined with a menu 'promenade gourmande' at the restaurant.
We had a very nice stay. The rooms are very comfortable and big and we had a good night sleep, the area is very calm/quiet at night and that's a big plus. The centre of the town is at a Km or 2 so not to far and has some nice pubs/café's.
The only reason I'm not giving the full 5 star-rating is because of a rather unpleasant visit we had in our room. Apparantly the person that stayed in our room before us was still in the restaurant enjoying lunch and he decided to show the room he stayed in to his family/friends that he was having lunch with. I don't have a problem with that if asked!! But he entered our room unasked just while we were having a bath. Apparantly someone from the staff had giving him permission to do so.... We didn't make a big fuss about it, my wife and I even had a good laugh about it afterwards. But still, the staff needs to be aware of the occupancy of the room and respect the guest's privacy!!
For the rest perfect but be fast cause only 6 rooms!
Breakfast was very good and well served.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

One of the best restaurants in belgium
rooms very typical and special,bit small but good enough for the purpose and that is to have à culinary surprise

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends