“A chase through the shrubbery”
Review of Ballinwillin House

and 1 more site!
Ballinwillin House
Ranked #1 of 5 Mitchelstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2017

I think we didn't get the full Ballinwillin House experience that others reviewers raved about due to the owners being away. Nevertheless we had a very pleasant stay albeit with some bizarre moments. After arriving at the electric gates (unusual for a B&B) we where buzzed in and on reaching the property warmly greated by a charming lady called Freda. She showed us to our room which was upstairs in the court yard building. The room was relatively newly decorated and was very clean, bright comfortable and tastefully decorated. After a good nights sleep, I awoke to the noise of pigs squealing and the vision of butchers in white coats crossing the yard! We were a bit of a loss as to where breakfast was being served, having not been told. I found a staff member making up the room below us and she kindly showed us over to the main house.
Breakfast was served at a large communal table in the kitchen of the main house. We shared the table with a very pleasant and friendly family from Luxembourg. Freda cooked our very fresh and tasty breakfast to order, and it was delicious. No sign of the famous venison sausages etc though. Freda was very friendly and charming.
All went well till I went to drop the key back to the main house (not being sure what to do with it) when we were ready to leave. Off I went through the shrubbery and was greated by two large over friendly dogs, a collie and Golden Retrevier who proceeded to jump all over me with muddy paws, I am used to dogs but I couldn't get these two to stop and let me pass. In the end they chased me around the shrubbery, with me shouting my husbands name and trying to fend them off. Eventually the same lady that showed us to breakfast came and called the dogs off, at this stage I was destroyed with muddy paw marks, hot, sweaty and out of breath.I had to go and change my clothes, only put on clean that morning. Thankfully I have a sense of humour and I knew that the dogs were just excited and friendly, but for someone else this could have been a frightening and off putting experience.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mdheffernan2017

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in Ballinwillin House for one night after attending a family wedding nearby. There were eight of us, comprising four couples. My wife and I were in the main house and the other three couples stayed in the lovely annex. The rooms were well appointed and spacious with good bathrooms, comfortable beds and all toiletries and towelling that one should expect.

Access to the property was through an electronically operated gate which led to an avenue along a field containing beautiful deer grazing. This was a stunning introduction to the house.

The real joy, though, was next morning at breakfast. We ate in the kitchen and all of us were accommodated at a single long table. Pat and Miriam, our hosts, were there to greet us as we arrived. They were very engaging... both interesting and interested. We learned how they had come to purchase the house and had renovated and updated it. They farm their own deer and wild boar. We were served a variety of cereals, fruits and homemade breads along with copious cups of tea and coffee. The best, though, was the breakfast fry that included everything one could expect, and more. As well as mushrooms, eggs, tomatoes, rashers and black and white pudding we were offered venison and wild boar sausages produced from Pat and Miriam's own livestock. They were simply delicious.

This was a really lovely experience, at a very reasonable price, and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 4 August 2017

Ditto to what everyone else said - this unique Inn is a must-stay. We loved visiting the deer especially! Miriam went out of her way to accommodate our family of five, we are so appreciative! A bonus was the kitchen in the common room where we were happy to make a meal after 2 weeks of travelling and eating in restaurants. Just wonderful!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2017

We only had the one night but we would have loved to have stayed longer.
Miriam and Pat were fantastic hosts this is all you could ever want in accommodation and with first class service. Our room was in the courtyard and very spacious, very clean, and very quiet, we cooked our own meal in the kitchen that has everything you could need.
The breakfast was amazing I have never had venison or wild boar sausages or black and white pudding but it was all wonderful I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Room Tip: The cottage kitchen and dining areas are shared but we didn't see anyone else in there, it felt...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Wonderful country home accommodation, located just outside Mitchelstown co.cork. Hosts Pat and Miriam couldn't have been more hospitable. Spacious and quiet rooms, delicious breakfast with wild boar sausages and great experience in wine tasting from their own vineyard in Hungary. 2003 cabernet franc as one of my favourites. Definitely worth calling by!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Been to Ballinwillin House? Share your experiences!