“Great Food. Lots of it!”

Stony River Country Diner
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Okato
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Stony River Boutique Hotel provides 7 rooms (1 Twin room, 2 double rooms, 2 triple rooms and 1 wheel chair access room) all en suite with Flat screen TV, FREE Internet, Coffee and Tea bar. You will find Taranaki's finest hospitality in a relaxed and warm ambiance. Enjoy your afternoon break in our Mountain View Lounge perfect in Winter time at the fire place and stay for dinner in our excellent Award winning restaurant.
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We stayed three nights and ate in each night. The food was plentiful and well prepared. Our favourite mains were the Lamb and the John Dory. Desserts were all great. Chocolate Marquise and the Berry Sorbet just pipped the Cheesecake and Apple Strudel, but you can't go wrong with any of the choices. The German wheat beers were good too!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

We were advised to buy a Grabone voucher when we said we wanted to try out a schnitzel meal, so this would have been the best value for money meal ever. We started with seafood chowder and Haloumi cheese on Kumara rosti, both starters were excellent. We then had the special of the night, the Burgensteiger schnitzel, pork with mushroom and bean sauce over chips and salad, a huge meal which we didnt finish as we definitely having dessert.Then desert; my husband had his favourite icecream sundae, which was very very nice and I had the best dessert of my life; Bavarian waffle with cheesecake, berries and cream and icecream. Freshly made waffle, sensational cheesecake, 11/10 for that effort. We came home wondering why we would even think of going out anywhere else.

1  Thank Fijohe
Reviewed 18 March 2018

My wife and I decided to have my birthday dinner at the Stony River Boutique Hotel as we had been planning on trying it for ages.
The Austrian flavour of the menu is new to us, and turned out to be excellent. We had a "Grab One" deal for two three course dinners, and it was a bargain.
My wife tried the double cooked pork and declared it to be the best dish she had ever had. High praise from someone so well traveled. My Pork Schnitzel was a huge meal, and delightfully tasty too.
The service was excellent too. Attentive, without being intrusive.
We can't wait to return.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

We had a grabone deal for a three course meal for two here. Through my email conversations with the owner, I mentioned the occasion was for my partner's birthday (not to request anything in particular, but for unrelated reasons). The staff went to incredible lengths to make the night much more special because of this which was greatly appreciated by us. The staff in general were also lovely and friendly, and very helpful.

The food is spectacular. The share platter entree is delicious with a lot of variety and some things I hadn't tried before. For mains, I had schnitzel and my partner pork belly. Both were excellent and also very big portions - neither of us could finish. Desserts were equally good especially the strudel.

The location is lovely and the building has wonderful character. II re-iterate, the service staff were a 10/10.

Highly recommended if you're looking for something a little different, a bit off the beaten track - but still very accessible from nearby towns (we went from New Plymouth).

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Our GrabOne deal was for 3course dinner , and breakfast.
Dinner was great! We had a ‘Rewena’ garlic bread to start. My husband had Fish. I had traditional snitzel which was lovely and tender! And the Apple Strudel though made with canned apples was really nice! They provided a takeaway box as we could only eat half of main meal! They cater for a lot of farmers in the area.