“Good food but smiles obviously not included!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2017

This was our first visit to the Red Lion as we had heard good reviews about the place so thought we would give it a try for our family Sunday lunch.
The pub itself is cosy, nice, oldy-worldy (mind your head if you are over 5'10!). The table was a little small for four of us sitting there (we had to fit the table legs in between our legs, not super comfy) and the menus were a bit grubby... Still, we ordered our food and the food itself was very nice, cooked just right and just the right amount of it but the service left a lot to be desired! Our waitress must have been having a bad day (we hope this was it and that she is not really like that everyday) but there was absolutely no sense of us feeling welcome or enquiring how our food was throughout lunch. It is almost like it was a real effort for her to get to our table to take our orders, deliver food, etc... not a smile in sight!
Shame as this would have definitely made the difference in between today being a one-off or or having us come back again (doubtful right now).

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Came back after two years had really good pie - as described - steak and mushroom - chips near perfect, nice mix of veg - really good friendly bar staff - - then last week looking forward to same pie - but this time the pie was steak with tomatoes, pepper, mushroom (just) and Mary Berry soggy bottom - but veg, chips and gravy good - tonight the pie had a dark burnt crust, soggy bottom (raw?) very little steak and lot of pie gravy - but the chips were like baguettes- no longer the fresh moist flavour, but dried out fluffy potato and not triple cooked flavour - the purple cabbage was not drained so the food was flooded with purple juice (no gravy boat as before- so no chance to determine the amount) the carrots were "rustic" door stops - stringy fibrous rather than slim and sweet (purple cabbage was bitter - first time it was sweet) -
My partner had Sheppard pie - instead of saying sorry run out of mash - used so much cheese it looked like lasagne - to disguise lack of potatoes
They need to ensure the meals are as described and the chefs cook to a minimum standard - so pie should be steak, tomatoes, pepper and mushroom

The pub has music but not told at the bar where they will play so had to move so didn't get blasted with music

Tonight the pub was half empty but the service was not as good as when it was packed - person served my meal then had a chat with the musicians before serving my partner - rather serve then chat.

1  Thank 1miah
Reviewed 1 June 2017

The pub could do with a makeover especially the garden they are missing an opportunity I feel, the food was ok we had dogs with us so we had to go somewhere with a garden!!

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I had driven past the Red Lion on many occasions over the years but hadn't set foot in it until I was invited to a birthday party there. You have to drive around the block to access it but it was worth the little detour. The pub is lovely and very much old school. A roaring fire was there to welcome me. The choice of beers was excellent and the landlady was very friendly. I have been back twice since to attend their annual Adur Beer Festival. One of my favourite bands has been booked there regularly so although it's a long way from home I shall definitely be attending!

1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Food very mediocre in my view. For a food establishment I thought it was a bit mucky to be honest. Beer was okay though shame really