“lack of consitency means can not be sure if you will enjoy the meal”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2017

Came back after two years had really good pie - as described - steak and mushroom - chips near perfect, nice mix of veg - really good friendly bar staff - - then last week looking forward to same pie - but this time the pie was steak with tomatoes, pepper, mushroom (just) and Mary Berry soggy bottom - but veg, chips and gravy good - tonight the pie had a dark burnt crust, soggy bottom (raw?) very little steak and lot of pie gravy - but the chips were like baguettes- no longer the fresh moist flavour, but dried out fluffy potato and not triple cooked flavour - the purple cabbage was not drained so the food was flooded with purple juice (no gravy boat as before- so no chance to determine the amount) the carrots were "rustic" door stops - stringy fibrous rather than slim and sweet (purple cabbage was bitter - first time it was sweet) -
My partner had Sheppard pie - instead of saying sorry run out of mash - used so much cheese it looked like lasagne - to disguise lack of potatoes
They need to ensure the meals are as described and the chefs cook to a minimum standard - so pie should be steak, tomatoes, pepper and mushroom

The pub has music but not told at the bar where they will play so had to move so didn't get blasted with music

Tonight the pub was half empty but the service was not as good as when it was packed - person served my meal then had a chat with the musicians before serving my partner - rather serve then chat.

1  Thank 1miah

Reviewed 1 June 2017

The pub could do with a makeover especially the garden they are missing an opportunity I feel, the food was ok we had dogs with us so we had to go somewhere with a garden!!

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I had driven past the Red Lion on many occasions over the years but hadn't set foot in it until I was invited to a birthday party there. You have to drive around the block to access it but it was worth the little detour. The pub is lovely and very much old school. A roaring fire was there to welcome me. The choice of beers was excellent and the landlady was very friendly. I have been back twice since to attend their annual Adur Beer Festival. One of my favourite bands has been booked there regularly so although it's a long way from home I shall definitely be attending!

1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Food very mediocre in my view. For a food establishment I thought it was a bit mucky to be honest. Beer was okay though shame really

Reviewed 11 April 2017

I used to frequent the Red Lion as a child , but until now could have only vouched for the garden and the Ginger Beer & crisps ! We had been allowed to use a room one end of the pub for our get together,,,which was great. The atmosphere was good and the price of a bottle of wine was very reasonable. We were going to order bar food, but we missed the deadline chatting so much.

1  Thank SussexMartina