New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Centreville, Virginia
“Serenity & Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I just returned from the Palace (traveled from 02/14 to 02/21). We had rented the entire property as a private villa. The property is by far the most magnificent property I have stayed at. The Palace is even more majestic and beautiful than the website reflects! The grounds are impeccably clean and well kept. The rooms and suites vary in size but they are all very distinct and charming and each of my guest felt at home in their rooms and only reported sleeping comfortably. The private beach is small and seasonal but it was so much fun to catch the waves and once tired, a lazy afternoon at the pool was in order! All of us enjoyed everything this phenomenal property had to offer. The service was beyond friendly. From our arrival to our departure, the staff was fantastic! Always going above and beyond by anticipating my and my guests every needs and always asking for feedback. My birthday celebration at The Palace was a once in a lifetime, phenomenal experience. I had envisioned palatial treatment to welcome this new birthday milestone and I was served exactly what I had ordered! Indulging in 2 massages while listening to the crashing waves were an added bonus.... I cannot express enough how divine the entire experience was! I definitely look forward to returning in the future.

One suggestion: I would recommend updating the gym for those who are trying to stay fit during their vacation.

On a side note - I had the privilege of visiting the owner's quarters. Absolutely beautiful! I hope that he will agree to include it as part of the rental property in the future...simply gorgeous and serene!

Room Tip: Suites 3A and 3B are gorgeous with hot tubs...2A and 2B are beautiful as well...minus the hot tubs...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank D B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Lititz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

What are the ingredients for a perfectly romantic anniversary getaway - 30 years of bliss? The site, the staff, the guest, and location all combine for the surreal. The real measure of a resort destination are the memories that survive the test of time. The web site photo gallery accurately depicts the many amenities of location, design and attention to detail. Not portrayed however is the exceptional service of staff - think English butler with a smile. There is no need to lock your room as the property is completely secure and safe. The Palace grounds are more than ample to accommodate their limited number of guest rooms. The beach and pools present ample opportunity for alone time. Romantic dinners sited wherever the moment moves you are accommodated and suggested. The food and beverage are without limit and of exceptional quality. A three night stay is too short to venture off property. If you do however, use Palace transportation as this sea of tranquility is amidst an island besieged with economic despair - airport transportation is well worth the van fee. Would we return - in a heart beat.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. The balcony rooms are spacious. Cliff side rooms are self contained suit...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank monthslater
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Attended a wedding at The Palace and was very impressed. I believe all the guests enjoyed it very much. The location is stunning. The staff was very helpful with the wedding.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

When I die, if I get to go to heaven, I want it to look just like The Palace at Playa Grande. When I first saw the pictures, I thought they had probably been photo shopped, yet it does look just like the pictures or better. One visual I had that I didn't get a snap shot of, yet burns brightly in my memory was peaking out after the rain at night and seeing the lanterns on the railing reflected perfectly on the patio. If I was CezanneI would have painted that image. The other burning memory I regret not taking a picture of was all of the ladies on the staff on the third balcony wishing us well on our departure and blowing kisses and waving good bye. Forever that will be an image that burns warmly in my heart. We had three nights of total bliss at the Palace and were the only guests at the time, being mid week. The staff could not have made us feel any more cared for, pampered and spoiled. When laying out by the pool, even without asking, Carlos brought us some papa frites and soda's, just in case we were hungry and thirsty. Juan Carlos, the amazing manager at the Palace arranged to have DR's finest amber and latimer jewelery brought in for us to purchase one evening. Since we were there such a short time and wanted to kick back and relax, we didn't have lots of time for shopping, but did want to go home with some of the specialties of the area . DR does not have the same resources and economic base as we do in the US, so it felt good to spend some money there and help the local economy. With the limited infrastructure in DR, one must understand that the electrical is provided by a generator although we never heard it running, there were slight interruptions in power from time to time. I must admit, I looked a lot younger in the dim yellow light when I couldn't see the wrinkles. The yellow lights also kept any insects away and we never saw one mosquito, which I had been concerned about before going there. It was a challenge to get your hair washed and shower before the hot water ran out, but the cold wasn't dreadfully cold, actually rather refreshing.
We took advantage of the spa services while there, and my husband even went back for a second massage the next day he loved it so much. He was in very good hands with Nika.
Phillipe took us to see the near by cave, Blue Lagoon, water fall, beaches and then went in the bank to help and an electronics store for us to get a new sim card for our camera. We were lucky to have him to take us around and be our local guide for the afternoon.
I am so happy my husband and I had an opportunity to share this special place and time. I would love to go back with my grown children and their children some time soon for a family reunion and I have recommended it to my nephew as a wonderful spot for his upcoming honeymoon.

Room Tip: Take advantage of The Palace staff arranging your transportation from the airport. It was so much e...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EAO9218
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

For my birthday I had the pleasure of staying at the Palace. If you are looking for just a relaxing time away from your busy and stressful life this is the place to visit. The staff is so professional and the nicest people you could ever meet at an establishment. In my view this place is not for children. The meals were great, the service was excellent, and the establishment is beautiful. My experience was fun and romantic.

We stayed in the Royal Ocean Front Suite with Balcony/Jacuzzi room (which was an upgrade from what was originally booked). It was cleaned 2 or 3 times every day and every night the bed was turned down. Anything we needed was serviced. Because it was my birthday (which they did not know beforehand) they even made it possible to have a whole birthday cake for me which was very nice.

Yes, if you want to experience the culture of DR you will have to drive to one of the nearest towns (closet is five mins away) but it is not a big deal. They offer tours and expeditions during your stay along with spa services.

If the opportunity ever presents itself again I will definitely return to the Palace.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
12.4 km away
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
5.8 km away
The Balaji Palace at Playa Grande

Been to The Palace at Playa Grande? Share your experiences!