1,518 results
All reviewsswim up roomhalf boardlobby barmain restaurantmanagement teamgreek restaurantevening entertainmenta la carte restaurantssea viewwine cellarall inclusive packageaqua bargala nightfabulous hotelthe general managerlow keythe hotel manager
Reviewed 22 June 2017

My husband and I stayed here for 11 nights for our honeymoon. Sadly, the experience wasn't exactly what we expected or had been anticipating. Let me start by saying the staff were all really friendly and helpful, the entertainment was nice, but there wasn't a huge amount going on, the restaurant and bar staff in particular made you feel welcome as well. The pool areas and restaurants were mostly clean.

Unfortunately, I do have some negatives:
1. I had a nice massage at the spa, but during the treatment, there was a lot of banging, drilling, etc. The therapist apologised at the end for "not being able to do the best I could" due to the conditions, but I was not offered a discount, nor did I receive the 15% discount I was supposed to get as a honeymoon guest.
2. The room was very noisy. We heard the beach and lobby bars until late most nights (we didn't mind some nights, but when you had been travelling or was up early for an excursions, it wasn't ideal). Plus, our room was located where the staff kept their supplies so you always heard trolleys being pushed up and down the corridor and them shouting at one another. This would be into the early hours and then waking us up some mornings from as early as 7am.
3. The room was not what we expected. I have a case open with Thomson to address this as the hotel was very dismissive and felt it was appropriate to discuss this in front of other guests. I won't say anything else about it in the review.
4. The room standards were not what I expected from a 5 star hotel; a shower that leaked under the door if the pressure was up too high, the maids didn't always clean thoroughly, rubbish left behind, etc.
5. Maintenance repairs ignored. We left the card on the door as one of the lights wasn't working and it was not fixed during the whole 11 night stay.
6. The Wine Cellar Gourmet Restaurant: My husband and I felt like we were forced into having the set menu. I didn't want it as I said that, as an example, one of the desserts you receive is banana based and I do not like bananas. The waiter said he would change it for me, but he didn't. So, I ended up wasting the course. The service was very slow, considering it wasn't even full, and when we asked for the bill, the waiter asked why we were "leaving so soon". We had been there for 2.5 hours by this point!

If you do decide to visit here, make sure you try the Greek restaurant. The food was amazing and by far one of the highlights of our stay and the hotel. We wished we had visited here again instead of wasting our money at the Wine Cellar. The Italian is also nice, but didn't seem too different to anything we could have found at home.

Would I return? Possibly, but I don't think I would waste my money on upgrading as I doubt our rooms were that much of a higher specification. I don't think I would return for 11 nights as well. It is quiet and there isn't much outside of the hotel. A week would be enough.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AshAlee1989
Dimitris P, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Atlantica Kalliston Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Dear esteemed guest,

let me first thank you for choosing Sensimar Kalliston Resort & Spa by Atlantica for your holidays. Secondly, thank you very much for your very positive and supportive comments about our staff services and our entertainment.

Please be sure, that the Sensimar Kalliston team strives daily to present personalized service to all its guests. On behalf of our team, we are really sorry for not being able to exceed your expectations in this instance.

Even though it should not come as an excuse, our colleagues at the Spa offer all discounts only when the relative letter is presented to them by the guest (a personal letter that I had sent you). I do however apologize because your name should have been crosschecked and the discount offered anyway; this I can only attribute to human error.

Regarding the maintenance issues, I have noted all of them and most of them have been addressed already (i.e employee's storeroom noise); the rest are already into next year's planning as they require heavy reconstructions that cannot be performed at this time (i.e sound insulation, bathroom reconstructions).

As far as the Wine Cellar experience is involved, let me please remind you that we are serving a gastronomic menu which is based on molecular production and dish preparation is by definition a very time consuming process; I am really sorry this was not made clear to you before hand.

Our hotel was voted in 2015 and 2016, by all TUI guests - as the Best Sensimar in the world; Sensimar Kalliston also holds five TripAdvisor stars since June 2015. We all wish our guests to be happy and even though we do not claim that our hotel is faultless, we can guarantee that we work daily towards perfection. It is only by listening to you - our guests - that we can achieve that.

Thank you for your time and interesting feedback.

Best Regards from Chania,

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Have just returned from a 2 week stay at Kalliston and had a great time. We opted for the AI package and felt it was well worth the money, as did not have to worry about costs of drinks when around the hotel it surprising how the cost of coffees etc let alone cocktails/wine soon add up.
It's a job to say more than that has already been posted one thing I would say is don't moan on here when get home have a word with the management if your not happy about something there is always one of the team about and I'm sure they will do what ever they can to sort out any issues not that I'm expecting you to have many.
Check in was quick and shown to our room bags soon brought along so could change and get a couple of hours rays....
Room was fine no probs kettle didn't work but phone call to reception and new one delivered within 10 Mins can't be bad.
Food was very good and plenty of choice so didn't feel that was repetitive lunch in the Greek was again always good choice.
Plenty of sun beds around both pools and on beach we always went on grass area which overlooked the beach.
If you book this hotel I'm sure you won't be disappointed and many thanks to all management and staff nothing was to much trouble.
One downside travelled from Birmingham when landed back home took over 30 mins waiting at luggage carousel for cases which was told not unusual come on Birmingham get that sorted.........

3  Thank Ian W
Dimitris P, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Atlantica Kalliston Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear Mr. Ian,

thank you very much for your positive review but mostly thank you for visiting Sensimar Kalliston Resort & Spa by Atlantica for your holidays. Your comments about our products and services is the best motivation for us. I will personally make sure that everyone knows about them.

I would also like to remind you that Sensimar Kalliston Resort & Spa was awarded as the BEST Adults Only hotel in the world for the second consecutive year in 2016 in Overall Accommodation (from all guests of TUI) and since July 2015, we also hold five TripAdvisor stars, a classification awarded to less than 1% of all the hotels in the world.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

with my warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Lovely hotel, good to see the manager so action around the hotel.
Activities team very good, enjoying aqua fit with Andrew and using French Bowls ourselves rather than with a large group which suits us as to couples together. Can't fault the food, cleanness and staff of the hotel. Evening entertainment could be more lively, much better in Rhodes Sensimar.

1  Thank KipandKing
Dimitris P, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Atlantica Kalliston Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Dear esteemed guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing Sensimar Kalliston Resort & Spa by Atlantica for your holidays and secondly for your review and constructive feedback; your positive comments for our food, cleanliness and staff customer service are very encouraging and will help us keep up the good work. We have also noted your comments about our evening entertainment and we will consider them when revising our program in the future.

As you may already know, Sensimar Kalliston was awarded as the BEST Adults Only hotel in the world in 2015 and 2016 in Overall Accommodation (from all guests of TUI). Since July 2015, we also hold five TripAdvisor stars, a classification awarded to less than 1% of all the hotels in the world.

Thank you for your time and helpful feedback.

Best Regards from sunny Chania,

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Just returned from my 1 week honeymoon at the kalliston.
My husband and I had a deluxe swim up room and opted for an all inclusive stay.

Airport/transfer to hotel- Chania airport is very basic, small but clean. Airport shops are very expensive! Coach transfers were ok. The one returning to the airport was a little scary in places. Coach driver was rather aggressive towards other road users.

Arriving at Kalliston- we were welcomed by the members of staff with a drink and then taken to our room. Was a good sized room but have stayed in larger for a lot cheaper. We were given a fruit bowl and some bubbly to congratulate us on our honeymoon but that was as far as the special treatment went.

I am glad we opted for a swim up room as the hotel obviously in peak season was very busy and sadly the other guests seemed to get up very early and put there things on the beds and claim them for the whole day. Didn't see any of the staff or lifeguards removing the towels after an hour of non use. So a couple of days we struggled to find a free bed and returned to our room.

The other annoying thing was the guests who liked to roast themselves in the sun all day had no problem shifting there bed to chase said sun to the point were my husband had some woman's manky toe in his face and I was subjected to a ladies crutch in full view of me. So perhaps more sunbeds are needed with bigger gaps between them? Sunbathing should be a pleasurable experience but we found it cramped and only used the beach once which was a shame.

Evening Entertainment- This hotel seemed to be very popular for the over 60's. My husband and I are late 30's so the entertainment just didn't suit us at all. Felt very much like care home entertainment and any minute I'd be given my sleeping medication and taken back to my room.
There were some good acts, I particularly enjoyed the dj at the beach bar as was much more relaxing.
We had one night of rain where all the guests were huddled into the main bar. This bar is simply not big enough for that and think a better solution for wet nights should be implemented.

My least favourite night was the night before my departure. Monday nights, the let's all praise the management night. I felt this night was completely unnecessary. And what was worse was there was no alternative, all had to be part of the blowing of there own trumpets. Giving out a glass of bubbly to everyone, shame they forgot about the guests inside in the main bar. They eventually got round to us about an hour after everyone else. I felt this night was insulting to the rest of the staff that was busy running the hotel why we all stood clapping the management for a job they are paid to do.
I don't get a weekly round of applause from my employers for doing my job.

Then there was the dress code for the evening. I get you want people to look smart, but don't dictate what colours they should wear. Was a right mixed bag to be honest, some people looked really smart, others like they had wandered in off the street.

Daytime entertainment- again very much for the older guests, nothing too strenuous! They do have a basic gym and indoor pool. That gym equipment really could be updated. The free weights smelt of rust and a lot of the weight machines are rusty and difficult to adjust to each users needs.

I didn't use the spa but it looked nice, the hotel shop is very small and very basic. Plenty of other shops near by as the Kalliston is right on a road. Did feel so sorry for the guests at the front of the hotel, what a view for them! You really get what you pay for and some rooms are simply in the worst positions. If you do venture out to the nearby shops you'll sample some of the lovely Greek hospitality and warm...... not! outside the hotel is where the niceness ends.

Food and drink- this was always to a very high standard. Plenty of choice to suit everyone. As all inclusive guests we were allowed a free meal to the Italian and Greek restaurants. Didn't try the Greek as we don't like that type of food. The Italian was very nice and comfortable. Food was delicious. Will add one negative that my beef ragu was very fatty.

They also had two other restaurants (Asian and a wine cellar) both seemed very pricey.

They have a seafood night once a week in the main restaurant. I hate seafood and really wasn't much choice for those who don't like fish. So perhaps better consideration for that should be implemented in the future.

Staff- I found the management to be too much to handle at times. I found them to be very over the top. Patronising, false and fake. Simply no need for it.

The real shinning stars of the Kalliston are the bar staff, the waiting staff who work such long hours. Some covering one bar during the day and moving to another of an evening. Always friendly, helpful but most of all real. Found the management to be very robotic.

A big round of applause to the cleaning staff. Hotel and rooms were spotless. Could have your room cleaned daily if you wanted which I bet some guests did but I don't feel is necessary at all. Those cleaners work their bottoms off.

Nice touches were bottles of water placed by our beds every night, olive oil and soap gift, lavender scent pouch to help sleep. Didn't understand the pillow placed on the bed on the last night that had one of those inspirational quotes on it. Pillow was available to buy from the shop should we want it?!?

Final thoughts- If your of an older age, like sitting in the sun and eating all day then the hotel will suit you.
It is not for younger couples or honeymooners.

My feedback to the management is this. Dial it down a little, when guests arrive greet them and advise you have an open door policy to come and find you if they need anything.
I'm sure some guests (of an older age) enjoyed you constantly popping up checking everything was ok. We frankly found it condescending.

It's a good hotel but not worth the hype or price in my opinion. And we won't be returning.

4  Thank Caroline E
Dimitris P, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Atlantica Kalliston Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

Dear Ms. Caroline,

thank you very much for your positive review and feedback, which we will use constructively in an effort to perfect our services even more and maintain our leading position among the best “adults only” resorts of the world. We are really sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations in this instance.

Please note that the Sensimar Kalliston Resort & Spa by Atlantica was awarded as the BEST Adults Only hotel in the world in 2015 and 2016 (from all guests of Thomson - TUI). Since July 2015, we also hold five TripAdvisor stars, a classification awarded to less than 1% of all the hotels in the world.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards from boiling Chania,

Reviewed 19 June 2017

We booked through Thomson/Tui, this hotel has received their highest awards and they are definitely justified.
We can't praise this hotel enough, as soon as we arrived we were greeted by the manager and a glass of bubbly......they had arranged a birthday cake for my husband in our room as a surprise and a bottle of fizz, as my husband had emailed ahead to advise we were also there to celebrate our 10yr anniversary, the staff here and level of service was the best we have experienced - EVER !
Nothing was too much trouble and the manager Dimitris Perrakis and his 2nd in command Dimitris Tsaklas were always around to shake hands and check you had everything you needed, both me and my Wife commented if they ever had family's to go home too, as they even were there waving the coach off as we left!
Another jewel in the hotel crown was a lady called Sofia Damavoliti guest relations manager, her warm manor and positivity was infectious !
Even the Owner of the hotel was around - Mr Kalliston sat with the guests enjoying the ambience.
Another important factor to mention as it's always something I find never up to par in these hotels, was the level of cleanliness.. it was spotless from public areas, to bathrooms, gym , the pool you name it they had it covered..
I don't think you could go wrong here , if you want a great beach location with exceptional service with great food in adult only hotel in Crete , then look no further then the Kalliston.
my top tip would be if your not all inclusive then opt for the drinks 3day package it seems harsh at first parting with 175 euros up front but that's for 1 couple 3days all you can drink, we did this the first 3 days then the last 3 days we were out and about doing more excursions.
Gym was great if that's your bag, very well equipped. With additional large hydro work out pool, with underwater treadmill and cycle.
Spa was lovely but as like most 5star hotels quite expensive.
Entertainment was very subtle, 1 night they had a fantastic lady singer and guitarist, the other some Greek traditional band, nothing cheesy though and not over powering .. we had a marvellous time !
I would definitely go back again and that's very unusual for me to say as I never normally like to holiday in the same place twice but at the Kalliston I would certainly make an exception x

Room Tip: Defo opt for sea view .. room 311 was our standard room. Very private.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Zanda M
Dimitris P, Διευθυντής at Atlantica Kalliston Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Dear Zanda,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your review and feedback; your positive comments for our property and customer service are very encouraging and will help us keep up the good work.Our team thank you for your positive and kinds words on the job they are doing.

Let me now get this chance and inform you that Sensimar Kalliston Resort & Spa was awarded as the BEST Adults Only hotel in the world for the second consecutive year in 2016 in Overall Accommodation (from all guests of TUI) and since July 2015, we also hold five TripAdvisor stars, a classification awarded to less than 1% of all the hotels in the world. Our repeating clientele has exceeded 30% of our total visitors.

Thank you for your time, your remarkable comments about Sofia , our Guest Relations Manager and of course my nightmare Dimitris the 2nd.
We all look forward to having you again with us in the future.

Best Regards from sunny Chania,