All reviews castello di beautiful setting remote location main building great value for money amazing place castle san restaurant courtyard architecture milan drive shops furniture venue choices
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

Il Castello di San Gaudenzio is a unique hotel set in a converted castle set in pretty, rural surroundings. Inside you'll find many of the original rooms and decor preserved including many historical pieces. The hotel is quite remote with no shops or restaurants within walking distance.

We went as a family and stayed in one of the best rooms in the main building with a balcony, it was large and airy if slightly dated. The breakfast dining area is not in the main restaurant but on the opposite side of the courtyard, its small but perfectly adequate and well stocked, we always enjoyed breakfast.

The restaurant was a bit of a let down, a limited meat-orientated menu with little in the way of vegetables and no salads. The food was good enough but not worth the price... there are better places to eat if you're willing to travel out.

Overall we enjoyed our unique stay and will be back.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2016

Fantastic venue with lots of charm. It's really a castle rather than a hotel. Great food and service, and perfect if you want to experience peace and quiet. Great value for money as well, would definately return

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

Our friends decided to get marry there. So we were all invited to Castello. Otherwise I would probably even havent found it. But obviously it is a strategy of the hotel to organize big parties, marriages. Th castle is really looking like a castle . it is old and I if I believed in ghosts I would think that this is a place for them to live )))))). The territory is big and veeeery beatiful. I would marry there also.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2016

This is an attractive old castle set in very flat countryside south of the interesting city of Pavia. It appears to be principally a wedding and meeting venue. Most of the rooms are newly built on three sides of the garden behind the castello itself. The rooms are medium sized, comfortable and furnished in reproduction style. Bathrooms are small but clean and acceptable. The swimming pool is quite small,covered and walled in on three sides. There is only limited seating in the gardens. Service is friendly and helpful. I would recommend it for a one night stay if you are passing through but not longer.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2016

While it is a routing for who works at the venue, a wedding is always an unique moment for who is getting married.
We could not have asked and wished for any better experience.
Long story short: we were a disaster as bride&groom, letting the venue knowing about our plans really at the last moment (literally while the celebrations were going on!) and all the staff at the hotel has been simply amazing, making us and all the guest feeling great.
The venue itself is wonderful, getting married in a small church next to the castle and then enjoying the party in the castle with delicious food and view.
Rooms are amazing, we visited basically almost all of them and there was none which we did not like. In fact all our guests had beautiful words the day after.
And the swimming pool. That is a big plus. Water maybe not that warm as I might have wished, but actually perfect as you need a kind of "wake up service" after such a party.
I wish I will never get married here again (it would mean my current marriage is not working well), but I do wish to be invited here in the future by my friends for their wedding.
Definitely I will come back for some vacation as it is not that far from the Milan Airports.

Room Tip: Get the suite with the balcony if you want to show off in your pics.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends