“Great Adventure Even for Jaded Travellers”
Review of Muktuk Adventures

and up
Half-Day Canoe Trip on the Takihini River
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muktuk specializes in customized small group adventures for both novice and experienced mushers . Walking tours are offered in the summer. Nestled into an ox-bow on the Takhini River, the 100-acre ranch is bordered on three sides by the River, ideal for mushing in the winter, and for beautiful scenery in the summer.
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Adventure Even for Jaded Travellers”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband and our two teenage sons visited Whitehorse last week and stayed for two nights in the Shylo Chalet at Muktuk. Although we thought we should go out sledding for half a day, it was suggested that we go for a full day to really enjoy the experience. We are so glad we went with the advice as the weather was good (no wind and only minus 10 degrees). We all had a chance to 'mush' with our own teams. My whole family has travelled extensively on all the continents except for Antarctica. The beauty of the north, the adventure of dog sledding and sleeping in a log cabin heated with a wood stove was one of our great family vacations. If you are a dog lover or an animal enthusiast, you will love visiting Muktuk. The dogs are clearly well-loved and taken care of and are far more friendly than you might expect. I highly recommend this as a family vacation.My sister's family also joined us with their 5 and 10 year old daughters and they loved it as well. We are all hoping to return during the late summer or early fall to experience the aurora since we missed them this time. A good excuse to go back!

Visited December 2011

Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great experience, loved the dogs and super nice staff!”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We were there for a full day dog sledding trip ($265/person), arriving there at around 9:40am, and then staff helped us with 1. sign the safety waivers form; 2. get dressed up with warm clothes and shoes, mitts, hats, neck warmers, basically they will provide whatever you need to get warm, it's all included in the price you paid; 3. get out to the sleigh and get ready with the dogs, two people share one sleigh; 4. We were on our way out of the dog ranch by around 10:30am. Around noon, we will stop and set up a fire for a smoky hot dog for lunch, with hot chocolate and cookie, then go back after that, the trip will end at around 3:40pm (time for sunset). You can visit the puppies after the trip and get warm inside the house for some hot tea and hot chocolate, a nice touch to end the day :) The dogs here are all very lovely/people friendly, we really enjoyed spending the day with them. The staff/our guide was very nice too, helped us out with taking pictures and videos throughout the trip.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank jokie00
Ocean City, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun with sled dogs”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

A great place to visit and play with the friendly sled dogs during their "down time". We went on a "puppy walk" with the younger dogs to the river, which was a blast!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Joe S
Kodiak, Alaska
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This place was absolutely unbelievable. My wife and I (with our two Labs) stayed in Shilo’s on our trip down the ALCAN. Unfortunately we were only able to stay one night. We could have easily spent a week at Muktuk. This place is worth the trip by itself, by far the best night we spent on the two week trip. Talking with the owner over breakfast was great, seeing all the dogs was unreal. Great stay.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Caleb B
Sydney, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

For a first time visitor the drive along the snow covered ground is daunting however when you turn the corner and see the dogs you know you're in the right place. I was greeted by several dogs who have free run (these are the retired ones - yes they are kept until their time comes) and then met Diane and Frank. After putting on warm clothing (it was 0 deg outside) we took the pups for a walk. It was lovely watching them be themselves. I was then asked if I would like to assist harnessing some of the dogs. Having been involved with dogs my entire life I felt at ease and assited with pleasure. Megan and Laura my guides then attached the 10 dogs to the ATV for the dogs training run. At this point the entire compound when 'nuts'. Dogs barking in excitement everywhere, it was impossible to speak. We then got onto the ATV and off we went. Well this was an experience to remember until I return to do a proper sledding run. Try to imagine 10 dogs pulling an ATV & 3 adults without the aid of acceleration the dogs hit 5 to 10 klm/hr, just magic. A warm beverage and cake was on offer on our return. There is also a chance to purchase items relating to the facility. I highly recommend a visit. This is not a theme park this is the real thing.

Visited October 2011