“A wonderful experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Half-Day Dog Sledding: The Takhini Express
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muktuk specializes in customized small group adventures for both novice and experienced mushers . Walking tours are offered in the summer. Nestled into an ox-bow on the Takhini River, the 100-acre ranch is bordered on three sides by the River, ideal for mushing in the winter, and for beautiful scenery in the summer.
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

For a first time visitor the drive along the snow covered ground is daunting however when you turn the corner and see the dogs you know you're in the right place. I was greeted by several dogs who have free run (these are the retired ones - yes they are kept until their time comes) and then met Diane and Frank. After putting on warm clothing (it was 0 deg outside) we took the pups for a walk. It was lovely watching them be themselves. I was then asked if I would like to assist harnessing some of the dogs. Having been involved with dogs my entire life I felt at ease and assited with pleasure. Megan and Laura my guides then attached the 10 dogs to the ATV for the dogs training run. At this point the entire compound when 'nuts'. Dogs barking in excitement everywhere, it was impossible to speak. We then got onto the ATV and off we went. Well this was an experience to remember until I return to do a proper sledding run. Try to imagine 10 dogs pulling an ATV & 3 adults without the aid of acceleration the dogs hit 5 to 10 klm/hr, just magic. A warm beverage and cake was on offer on our return. There is also a chance to purchase items relating to the facility. I highly recommend a visit. This is not a theme park this is the real thing.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Toni F

North Bay, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A place I will never forget!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Where do I begin......we arrived at MukTuk on a rainy morning in September and instantly fell in love with all the dogs and their individual vibrant personalities! After making the rounds and checking out the beautiful scenery, we finally met the infamous Frank Turner and were privy to a special MukTuk Welcome! (You will have to go to learn what this is as I dont want to spoil it for you). We had no idea how many amazing life experiences we would have the privledge of listening too for the next several hours. Frank is one of the most interesting, inspirational people I have ever met and I will never forget the stories he shared with us. He inspired me to follow my dreams and as a result, my long term plan involves re-locating to the Yukon and living the good life! He left a special mark on my heart and he is an inspiration to anyone that has dreams! After spending the day with Frank, we decided to return the following night to stay overnight at his deluxe cabin overlooking the Takhini River. It was amazing and such a tranquil experience that I cant begin to explain. We had a great home cooked meal and felt right at home at the main lodge. We were able to interact with all the dogs as much as we liked and this place was really hard to say goodbye too. We loved meeting the volunteers from all over the world and we loved meeting the only Canadian born musher to win the Yukon Quest!! MukTuk was the highlight of my Yukon Adventure and I cant wait to return in the winter!!! One of the Yukon's treasures for sure!!!

Visited September 2011
2 Thank UpNorthGrl
Surrey, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Summer tour left a little be desired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

First, I should preface my review by saying that Frank and all of the staff at Muktuk seem to treat their dogs in a manner nothing short of outstanding. Especially given what recently happened to some sled dogs in Whistler, this couldn't be more important.

Now with that being said, our visit to Muktuk for the tour "A taste of the Yukon" left a little to be desired.

The tour began by picking us up at our hotel around noon. We were taking to the Muktuk ranch which is about 20 minutes from Whitehorse. We were given an excellent overview of the sport/lifestyle of dog sledding by Frank. We were given a lot of time with the dogs (and especially the puppies) which didn't disappoint. We were then taken in for a viewing of the documentary "Yukon Quest" which documents the dog sled race from Fairbanks to Whitehorse.

Frank gave some excellent stories regarding the races (which he has competed in countless times). My only slight criticism was there were probably one or two too many stories. For folks new to the sport it was a little overwhelming and therefore easy to lose interest come the end.

Up until this point Muktuk was easily getting an overwhelming 5 star review from me, however, things started to go downhill. We had signed up for a tour that was supposed to last from 1pm-8pm. By the end of the Yukon Quest viewing it was approximately 3:30. I was excited for what was in store next and eagerly awaiting a dinner (which was included) with frank and other staff members. However, Frank disappeared and we were essentially left on our own for the next 2 hours. When dinner was ready, rather than sitting down with Frank and staff to eat, we were left to eat by ourselves. The website claimed it was a "buffet style dinner" but we were given pretty average portions- pretty filling but definitely nowhere close to buffet style.

To really leave a sour taste in our mouths, as we were settling up our bill and preparing to get a lift back to our hotel we were informed there was a $20/per person charge for a hotel pickup. The website said 'local pickup in whitehorse available if needed' with no mention of a charge and in my countless email with the staff members, never was this mentioned. Eventually the fee was waived, but regardless, it still left a bitter taste.

Overall, I think Muktuk is probably an outstanding place for the dogs as well as for visitors during the winter months. However, as for their summer program, currently it needs a bit of work. I have no doubt, however, Frank and all of the staff at Muktuk will eventually get a polished summer program going that rivals their winter programs and I look forward to visiting again.

Visited August 2011
7 Thank votrechien
MuktukAdventures, Front Office Manager at Muktuk Adventures, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thank you for your suggestions regarding our summer programs. Our management team is currently working on next years summer programs. We do appreciate your comments and will definitely be considering them for our program development. With regards to the miscommunication on our transportation costs we are currently updating our website to reflect this.

We hope to see you back for one of our winter trips.

Warm regards,

Muktuk Adventures Management Team:)
Madison, Wisconsin
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Amazing experience and outstanding hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

Muktuk was a tremendous experience for the four of us--two couples. We stayed at Muktuk in late June, after having traveled extensively in Alaska and the YT, yet Muktuk proved to be one of the very best highlights of an already spectacular trip. The hospitality was great (we stayed in the lodge and arranged for most of our meals right there), and the experience with Frank, Manuela, and all the 120 dogs was amazing. Every single dog was friendly. Watching them run and hearing them howl was thrilling, as was listening to Frank talk about sledding and dog teams and life. We really hope to go back in the winter if at all possible. We loved the entire experience.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Viajera51
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Funnest day in Whitehorse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Had the pleasure of meeting Frank along with his furry family. We were welcomed as we exited our vehicle and after introduction he asked if we wanted to play with the 3 week old pups along with their momma. After our visit with the pups Frank walked us down a trail and we watched in amazement some of his dogs then run by with lightening speed towards the river. We then walked the dogs back up to the kennels and went inside his house for refreshments. Frank's staff was also accommodating to our 3 furry friends that also came for a visit by bringing fresh water for them. We then started etching the video where he talked of his experiences in the quest. I can go on and on but the trip to the kennels was a huge hit with my family. Highly recommend.

AKCoastie