Review Highlights
A lifechanging experience!

Our family, two middle aged but fit parents plus energetic 17 and 20 year old sons, had the... read more

Reviewed 11 July 2018
JulieN1561
Melbourne, Australia
Lovely summer hiking trip

I did a 3-day trip with a friend in May and had a lovely time with Ned and Jeanine! They were so... read more

Reviewed 4 June 2018
Gabriellehc
Halifax

All reviews ned huskies temperature campfire stories cabin dogs yukon
Reviewed 26 March 2017

My partner and I were visiting Whitehorse for a week and this dogsledding trip was the highlight of our stay! We did many other fun winter activities but sledding with the dogs was easy and the scenery is so beautiful! Jeninne is a great knowledgeable guide and we loved spending time with her around the campfire when we stopped for smokies and hot apple cider. We went on the picnic day tour and I would suggest it to anyone. We hope we can go back again!

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 9 August 2016

We booked for a six day canoe trip to Carmacks, and had the great good luck to do so with the Cathers family. Jeninne masterminded our trip, and couldn't have been more engaged and ready to share her deep knowledge of the river and the Yukon more generally. The logistics were faultless, and we enjoyed a very happy time away from it all. If only it could have been longer!

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

My husband and I went on the Hiking with Huskies tour with Cathers Wilderness Adventures.

Jeninne, Ned, and Mar were incredibly hospitable. It felt like we were visiting family.

We hiked for three days, camped for two nights and spent the remainder of our time in the cabins on their property. During cabin time, you can do day hikes or canoe. Ned was incredibly patient in teaching me how to paddle and am happy to say I am now a more confident paddler.

The lakes and views of the mountains were incredible and were just what we were after. We were fortunate enough to see part of the Yukon River Quest during our stay.

We are looking forward to our next stay with the Cathers for a dog sledding experience.

THINGS TO KNOW:
Here are some of the things you should know. The opinions of the below are for you to make on your own.

-- There is no road access where you stay on the Cathers property or on any of the campsites.

-- Your cabin does not have running water and your business is done in an outhouse.

-- When you're camping, there are no outhouses. Nature is your bathroom.

-- You have to carry your own belongings while backpacking. The huskies carry food and tents.

-- You're in bear country.

-- The temperature and weather conditions can change dramatically very quickly.

Date of experience: June 2016
1  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed 8 February 2016

We spent a half day dogsledding with Janine and Ned. There were 9 of us, some in single dogsled teams , and some in pairs. Everything was perfect, including the weather- sunny. The meetup went smoothly, and the instructions clear and not difficult. Halfway through the afternoon we stopped for a fire, hot drinks, smokies, baked beans for the vegetarians, and baked goodies. The dogs were noisy, and raring to go, but happily lay down during the stopover. They were friendly, and those of us who wanted, were able to walk up and down saying hello. Janine and Ned were wonderful- helpful and friendly. Be sure to dress warmly i.e. Overdress if necessary. Warm clothes and boots can be rented from them. A truly magical day!

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was looking for a company that would take myself and my two daughters down the Yukon R. to Dawson. Due to their work schedules is was difficult to find a company that would accommodate us. I emailed Cather's and quickly got a reply from Jeninne. After laying out our parameters Jeninne was able to plan a canoe trip that met all of our needs. Upon arrival in Whitehorse we were quickly transported by a friend of Jeninne's to a meeting place on Lake Labarge. After meeting Jeninne and loading the canoes and equipment we headed out on our river adventure. The following six days on the river was and outstanding experience. Jeninne is a remarkable individual (first completed the Yukon Quest dog sled race at 18) and meticulous planner who has an intimate knowledge of the Yukon R, it's history, and the people who live on it. At no time did we feel that we were on their schedule, we were able to paddle and drift at our leisure and when we made requests to change the original plan she was quick to accommodate. Highlights were the overnight stop at Ft Selkirk, drifting till midnight, and
Dawson. The food was excellent and plentiful. I highly recommend Cather's if you are looking for a unique Yukon adventure. Thanks to Jeninne's stories I am now planning on walking the Chilkoot
Trail. Thanks again to the Cather family for a wonderful experience.

Date of experience: July 2014