“Saskatoon's best hotel”
Review of The James Hotel

The James Hotel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 7 March 2012

When I told friends we were staying at the James Hotel in Saskatoon, they said they'd never heard of it. Well, they will. The James is a boutique hotel the likes of which Saskatoon has never seen — luxury linens, high-end bath products (l'Occitane), impeccable service, and even a flavourful breakfast included with the price of the room. My husband and I booked a small room but upon check-in were given an upgrade to a suite with river view. Our suite had a living room with balcony overlooking the river and stately Spadina Cres., and the bedroom with king-sized bed and lots of plump pillows also had a large window with the same lovely view. I loved the soft grey and white decor, relaxing yet elegant. The staff was friendly and warm and seemed anxious to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. We did not take advantage of having a drink in the cozy lounge on the main floor, but it looked very inviting. I thought the hotel would be very good, but it was so much more, exceeding all of my expectations. It felt like a unique hotel in a much larger city. Saskatoon is fortunate indeed to have such a beautiful hotel and I look forward to our next stay. I can imagine sitting on the balcony on a late-June night, having a drink and enjoying the atmosphere of the Saskatoon Jazz Festival. I wish the staff and management the best of luck with the James -- they're off to a great start.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WebM50

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Although I can see why this hotel would be great for business travellers, it was also fantastic on the weekend. We were in town for just one night to attend a wedding, and wanted to stay somewhere peaceful and comfortable - and we were very happy with our choice.

The location is stellar - right across from the river, a quaint skating rink and the stately Delta Bessborough. The service from start to finish was exceptional. Our rate included breakfast - a continental spread, plus made-to-order omelettes. The second floor breakfast room looks out over the river and is a lovely spot to enjoy morning coffee. Although we were told that the lobby lounge can get quite active, it certainly never disturbed us.

The rooms are very nicely appointed - some people might find them a little bland colour-wise, but we liked that they are modern and clean. The beds are comfortable and featured some of the softest linens we've ever found! Many nice touches, including L'occitaine toiletries, turndown service and some sweet treats left for our midnight snack. It's impressive that even in downtown, guests are not charged extra for parking.

Overall, we would happily recommend the James for a stylish alternative to the big, impersonal hotels.

Tip: for another great breakfast (or lunch) option, check out Calories on nearby Broadway Avenue.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed at the James week of Feb 28 for two nights while on a business trip to Saskatoon.
The hotel is located right by the River in the heart of downtown. I had a smaller standard king bed room with a river view, it was a perfect size for one person. The rates were very reasonable. The service was fantastic and genuine, everyone was very friendly and helpful. A nice quality breakfast which was chef attended and internet was included in the price.

The hotel is converted 1960's (cool) residence, connected to another chain hotel but you would never know when inside, the interiors are beautiful, warm, and comfortable. The room was very nice, well equipped and extremely clean (I'm really picky when it comes to this). The washroom was very nice (a bit small but fine for one person), clad in marble, nice toiletries, soft towels, and soaker tub. The bed was very comfortable with feather pillows and very soft sheets.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone whether on business or enjoying a romantic weekend. Next time I go back to Saskatoon I will stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband surprised me with a stay overnight in Suite 606 in The James Hotel, with a balcony view of the skating rink across the street. The room was modern, with wood floors, clean lined furniture, and muted tones. A welcome card and gift were left in the room, and everything from the toiletries(L'Occitane) to the coffee(Keurig) and the nightly turn-down service with a treat(we had gingerbread cookies) were pleasant surprises.Chad, who works in the lobby welcoming guests, is very easy-going. The breakfast the next morning was full, with individual eggs benedict, fresh fruit and hot entrees. Also, everything is included in the price of your stay-breakfast, parking, water in your room. No surprises or out-of-pocket expenses. I have been in the lounge for drinks and appetizers, and the atmosphere is wonderful.

Room Tip: The website is exactly like the rooms look-the church bells were tolling around 8am on Sunday mornin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Spent only one night in this lovely hotel and left feeling refreshed, rejuvinated and ready to meet the world. For those of you that want to get away and pamper yourself I would highly recommend this hotel. Everything about the hotel was exceptional, friendly and helpful staff, wholesome breakfast, huge soft comfortable bed, the breathtaking view off the balcony overlooking the river, and enviornmentally friendly. Im so looking forward to my next stay to the James Hotel........Thank you to all the staff for making my stay the best night iv ever had in a hotel. Loved it .........

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo