“Not impressed.”
Review of Sundance Balloons

Sundance Balloons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Regina is home to a dedicated area of parks and green spaces — a popular destination being Victoria Park, which is in the central business district. Regina is a fun travel destination to try something new! Come take a hot air balloon ride in Regina, SK. During our balloon flight season, from the beginning of May to the end of September, you can capture a bird’s-eye view of Saskatchewan’s capital city.
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

I usually don't give bad reviews but we haven't even had our balloon ride yet and we're getting fed up.

Spouse bought balloon ride as an anniversary gift for us last year. We got one chance to go out before they were done for the season. Take off spot was at the airport (not a good location in the first place). But whatever... They started to unload the balloon and then the wind changed so we would have ended up going right over the airport - bad idea. So flight was scrapped.

We started booking this year in May I think. Some were cancelled due to weather, which is understandable. There was rain, wind and smoke.

We had two nights that were perfect. We go to the one and get to the launch spot and there were a few clouds in the sky. They were harmless. Pilot called Nav Canada and was told 60% chance of rain so flight was scrapped. It never rained. The night after was the same weather but we saw the balloon go.

We booked again and it was August 3. Beautiful day. Couldn't ask for better weather. So we go again to the launch spot and again unload the balloon. Well they didn't unroll the balloon properly so the wind and air that was filling it up made the balloon roll over on itself. Pilot says the wind changed. So they move the balloon and basket over and try again. He doesn't put enough air into the balloon, it keeps collapsing on itself. So he tries again. Again doesn't fill enough but yet tells everyone to get in the basket. Balloon collapses again and then he scorched the balloon.
Wth??

A flight supposedly went in the morning. How can you get it to work in the morning but now mess up so many times??

I don't even know how many times we've rebooked, I lost count. Everyone that was booked had to rebook. So imagine how many times this happens which means not many days left to get in.

Some people have been trying for 5 years. This one lady we met drives in from Craik each time and she was on her 25th try. We're not at that yet but it's ridiculous.

We're booked for the end of the month. Think we will actually go? I am doubtful.

They do not give refunds.

People say it's great once you get up, but we are at the point where it has lost excitement. It's become a game and we try to guess what excuse well get.

Think they need a more competent pilot and more hands to help unload the balloon and help to get it filled before the wind changes or it gets too late to go out. They won't fly close to sunset and the days are getting shorter.

5  Thank DebiDoubleD
SundanceBalloons, Manager at Sundance Balloons, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

We appreciate your review and your description of your events. What you describe is how the weather can affect us and how quickly it can change. The pilot has to make weather decisions right up to the time of the flight, and if the weather conditions change, he will have to cancel the flight. We all want to fly as much as the passengers do, but will only do so if the conditions are safe. All of our pilots are very competent and experienced in ballooning and we trust that they are making decisions each and every day with the safety of the passengers as their priority. We do hope that you are able to fly on your next scheduled flight date.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had our ride this morning. I will say that finally getting on a flight got quite frustrating, although you can't help the weather. However, reviewing the flight itself - nothing but fantastic! Crew was great, weather was great, and the view was unbelievable. I was scared silly to go, but my husband was very excited (the only reason I went in the first place). However, someone asked me later on in the day if I would go again, and I actually said I would! It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. What an experience. Well worth it.

I will say that the chase crew works very hard, and the pilot really did a great job so be prepared to tip well. I realize the flight seems to cost a lot to begin with but when you take into account the equipment, and at least 3 people's wages, and the flights can only happen at a maximum of twice a day, I'm sure generous tips are very appreciated. They deserve it.

Fantastic experience! Thanks so much.

4  Thank TheRousells
SundanceBalloons, Manager at Sundance Balloons, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

So happy to hear you enjoyed your flight! Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 22 January 2012

As the previous reviewer mentioned, this activity is weather-related. We booked for May, but had to wait until August before the weather cooperated enough for us to go. The wind speed has to be under 10 knots (18 km/hr) and anyone who has spent any time in Regina knows that wind is a constant companion here. So, it isn't something to plan for a quick visit here. Still, if you are content to wait for the right weather, it is a great experience! I thought I would be afraid of the height, but it isn't scary at all. It doesn't feel like you are going up, rather that the ground is moving away from you. There is no sensation of movement at all. You are traveling at the same speed as the wind, so it doesn't even ruffle your hair! It was quite interesting to see how the basket is laid down on the grass and the balloon played out from the van before filling it with air. Once it is partly full, the huge propane burners are turned on to heat the air, and it very quickly pops up vertically. Then, eight people plus the pilot climb into the basket and off you go. I have lived in Regina for over 30 years now, and flown in and out many times, but this gave me a whole new perspective on my home. I didn't realize we had so many trees; the city is quite pretty from above. And the new areas look like monopoly sets. All in all, it was a unique and enjoyable experience.

9  Thank dawn_one_north
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This was a great experience! The process starts with the purchase of either an AM or PM flight. After the purchase you now must book the flight. One must realize that it is a weather related trip and so if the wind howls for a week, well, you won't be flying.

The night before our flight we confirmed through a phone number whether or not we would fly. We were on standby and luckily, the wind abated and we met at the Victoria Square Mall at 6am. One thing I did not realize was how the wind can change at various elevations. The Pilot (Eduardo) released a balloon and we all watch it blow in a NW direction. Suddenly, it changed direction and began heading ENE. With that info we were off to the airport for an ENE trip over the city of Regina.

It was interesting to watch Eduardo and David unpack the gondola, followed by the large balloon. Within 15 minutes the hot air balloon was ready for departure. After a series of safety instructions and approval from air traffic control, Eduardo skilfully guided the Balloon over the airport and then once the proper elevation was attained, we headed in a north easterly direction.
The trip was awesome, the trip was silent, and it really was like walking with the wind!
Eduardo has done nearly 100 trips over Regina and knows all the land marks and great landing places. Dave follows in the Van/trailer and seems to know just where we will land although Eduardo is in constant contact with him. We went from 500 feet in the air in a north- east direction to just over 50 feet in a north- west direction. It was interesting how he was able to cause a change of direction.
The landing was fun. We had the choice of a level 2 or level 3 landing. As we were all adventurous, we choose the more exciting level three and laughed our heads off and we gently tipped on our sides.
It was a great experience for all ages; some of our group were in their 70’s as well as a young couple. After packing up the balloon, we all stood in the field and celebrated a two hundred year tradition by sipping on a glass of champagne! Eduardo and Dave, see you next year. That was just SOOOOO much fun!

15  Thank Redcoatregina