“Le meileur repas de l'année!”

L'Empreinte - cuisine soignee
Ranked #22 of 359 Restaurants in Sherbrooke
Price range: US$10 - US$70
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Il y'a quinze ans depuis j'ai demeurez au Quebec comme ca excusez moi si je continue en Anglais. I am in Sherbrooke for two nights on business. I was looking for a fresh, creative dining experience close to my nice (but restaurant free) hotel. I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled across L'Empreinte. If you can find a more interesting dining experience this side of Montreal, I will be amazed. In fact, I was so stunned by the various tastings that I failed to pay attention to the ingredients so I am unable to give a proper report on the various small dishes that appeared. I can say that all ingredients were fresh and the combination of flavours was brilliant. The presentation was appealing without being over the top. The service was efficient and charming. I think I better go back tomorrow and give it another chance!!

Reviewed 13 February 2017

L'Empreinte offers a 5 course menu but we were in a rush so the owner offered us a 3 course menu for $35. There's no doubt that there's a lot of attention to detail in each plate. Flavors are interesting and innovative. We found it a bit expensive for a simple 3 course menu, although the desert plate was quite nice. But since choices are limited to 3 per course, so it has to fit with your taste of the moment. Service is warm and efficient.

Reviewed 19 January 2017

Went back for lunch before Christmas. The service was not very good, but the place was very busy. The menu was much less interesting than the first time and the mac and cheese was very bland. The desert, however, was quite good. Will still go back because my first visit was just too amazing.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

When I read "Cuisine soignée", to me, this means that I should be pretty happy when I leave there. Didn't quite happen.

We went on a Saturday night. Music was very loud, and lights are super bright. Not very intimate.

The menu offered was not at all the same as the one on the website. The waiter explained that they change their menu every 6 weeks.

Choices are quite organic.....and even includes bugs. Yes, bugs, as in crickets. Most of the wine choices are also organic. I had ceviche, and my boyfriend had scallops.....the portions were quite small (small enough to be entrées, especially the scallops).

The food appeared to be fresh.....but 4 days later, I'm still on meds to control the indigestion following that supper. The dessert, which included steaming marshmallows, tasted like Lucky Charms cereals.

Needless to say, we won't be going back. Were my expectations too high ? Perhaps. In my humble opinion, the prices are too high for the meals offered. Perhaps I am too conservative ;-)

Reviewed 23 October 2016

A friend and I had been wanting to try this resto for a while. It is very popular, and we only got a reservation on a Friday night because of a cancellation. Centrally located on King St., it is quite small, but very pleasantly funky. We were seated next to the glass-enclosed herb garden, visited every so often with his scissors by one of the chef/owners. We arrived at 6 pm and were the only people there, but by 7:30 the crowd had come in, and the noise level went up considerably. (We were clearly the senior citizens in the room, and the other patrons didn't seem to be bothered by the decibel level.) It is possible to watch the food preparation, since it is all done just behind the bar, which extends the length of the room. The wine selection was excellent, although kinda on the pricey side, with the least expensive bottle being $30, and that was exceptional. The food was especially creative: we tried a beef dish (excellent), smoked wapiti (good), and a cold seafood/cricket combination which was small but apparently excellent. Four courses (the first of which is a small "amuse bouche", appetizer, main course and dessert) cost $39, although there was a surcharge on some of the plates, bringing up the per person price to at least $60, with tax, tip and wine. With a menu that changes often and is relentlessly creative, I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates culinary inventiveness, has enough disposable income to afford the dinner prices, and doesn't mind the somewhat overwhelming noise level. There is also a $20 lunch special, with appetizer, main course, and dessert, and probably less background sound. The website includes the menu du jour, so I'd recommend checking it before you go unless you really enjoy surprises on your plate!