“As close to Thai as you're going to get in Sherbrooke...”

Restaurant thailandais Chanchai
Ranked #15 of 362 Restaurants in Sherbrooke
Price range: US$9 - US$15
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chanchai has been recently renovated. Located in downtown Sherbrooke. at 11, Wellington North Street. The restaurant a capacity of 110 seating places inside and 18 outside on the terrace. The menu propose a dozen of diffent typical thailandese dishes. Customers can bring their own alcoolic beverages. Take out dishes and delivery is also available. Welcome
Reviewed 9 June 2017

We are hard to please. After having lived in Northern Thailand for seven years, we have a taste for Thai food. Chanchai delivered. Service was pleasant. Atmosphere was okay (although it was a bit hard to notice due to a very large reservation coming in for dinner). Food was delivered in reasonable time. We had three different curries. The flavours and textures were accurate. I asked for extra spice for mine and was accommodated to a reasonable degree. My wife had the talapia chuchee talai. She was happy. My daughter had the red curry. She said it was okay but could have been spicier. I had the Penang Gai curry. The flavour and consistency was bang on. Even had the authentic caffir lime leaves. Price was competitive. My only suggestion is to have the authentic Thai sauces (Red Pepper sauce or Sriracha, the fish sauce with chillies and the vinegar with chillies) on the table. Too bad they didn't have som tam! That would have been the icing on the cake... Light Thai music on the sound system gave some authenticity.

Listen, life is too short to waste on bad restaurants. But we will definitely come back to Chanchai. We still need to try the noodles and tom yum.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

My wife and I met our daughter and her boyfriend at this place for dinner. It was the first time for everyone. Initially we went to 111 Rue King Ouest and found a sushi restaurant with the same Chanchai name, but they routed us to the Chanchai Thai restaurant just around the corner. The restaurant is nicely appointed and quite large but still manages to have a cozy feel. It was about 1/2 full on a Thursday night. There is a pleasant ambiance and it's quiet enough to have conversations without having to yell.

We have to completely agree with the other positive reviews for this place--we left the restaurant completely stuffed with the best-tasting Thai food we've had in a very long time all for $80, including gratuity.

My wife had the chicken pad Thai, which was beautifully presented with a wide range of ingredients and generous helpings of chicken. The kids both enjoyed spicy curry dishes, especially my daughter's boyfriend who likes hot food. I had the shrimp pad sew--a richly flavored and colorful mix of noodles, vegetables, and plenty of shrimp.

Our waitress was very helpful as our French language skills are minimal at best. She also came back throughout the meal to check on us and to top up our drinks.

We will definitely go back!

Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

Food was perfect. 30$ for two. Would recommend!! Its very good thai food from soups, pad thai to general tao!

Reviewed 12 September 2016

We have "followed" the chef since its opening when there was no customers and the chef would come and sit down to chat with us. It has changed a lot since. The service is always impeccable and the food as well. My hubby and I always take the General Chanchai as an entree and Shrimp Pad Thai. The food is always fresh and tast.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Chanchai is an outstanding Thai place with very authentic dishes, prepared with care. We love to go for dinner, even if one has to reserve on the busy days (Fri-Sat). Very popular with young people and families.