All reviews sleeping bag ice slide ice hotel once in a lifetime ice sculptures bucket list overnight guests stay warm hot tub long underwear snow tubing ice room wedding chapel theme suite served in ice glasses colored lights ice bars
Reviewed 20 February 2012

came back again this year - an adventure that was enjoyed by all. We were there in January 2011, first weekend it opened and enjoyed it more as it was not busy - found it very busy when Carnival was on

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Ok, the hotel is expensive to stay at, but the experience is worth it. The main hotel with the rroms, lobby, chapel,and bar is made up of snow and ice. Inside the temperature stays pretty well at -5 celcius or 29 F, so inside it is not that cold since there is no wind. We took the discovery package. It included the extra room at the Sheraton. We used it only to drop off our bags and shower up in the morning, so really that was not really needed. There are showers, changing room in a building right beside the ice hotel where your lockers are and where you go to change for the sauna and jaccuzis and warmth for those that did not brave the cold.
You need to go to an orientation that explain the sleeping proceedures. Of coarse they say do not wearcotton to bed, I actually slept in my birthday suit, so in the sleeping bag you do not get cold, if you follow the instructions properly.
You do not come here tho for a great night sleep. You will not be cold, but being buddled up in a mummy sleeping bag you are closed in. The mattress on the ice bed is comfortable, but the pillows are not, they are like camping pillows. Both of us woke up several yimes during the night, not because of the cold, but more being uncomfortable. We did not come here for the great sleep but more for the experience. Being here on Valentine day just added the little extra.
To do it again, I would not have that extra room , nor the included supper. You can go to the same restaurant and it would be cheaper. They have a small restaurant for breakfeast at the ice hotel, so the one at the sheraton was not really needed.
I enjoyed it and would recomend it for the experience.

Room tip: Take a themed room, it adds thelittle extra to the experience.
4  Thank Lionblanc
Reviewed 14 February 2012

First of all, before booking at the Hotel de Glace you should know that it is 100% not refundable. So be carefull to not be in the hospital, get in a plane crash or to die. Those are not good reasons for them to refund you. On the other side they are willing to change your reservation date ( less than 30 days ) for only 175$ by person, wich if you take the cheapest promotion will only be 25$ less than the actual price of rental. My girlfriend had an accident a week before our reservation date and I called to make a change of dates or to cancel. Our trip to Quebec was going to cost over 1000$ and it was a birthday gift. With the last changes, our trip was going to cost over 1500$ for a 3 hour ride from home and a simple night in a hotel. Not expensive at all. They did not change the date, they did not offer anything more to our package, they did not want to reimburse us due to their so called policy. After talking with them on the phone , we decided to leave it like it is. (so still going even do we had to change a few hospital appointments) The story goes on. A day before leaving for the Hotel de Glace we get a voice mail saying :" While waiting on your phone, we are liberating your room". So good thing we did get this message in time, if not the room would have been rented for a second time. The problem is that we never did cancel the room and even if we did ( this is what they are suggesting ) they never send a printed copy of the cancellation which they are obligated to do.

27  Thank supersupermen
Reviewed 12 February 2012

The hotel is totally amazing. Everything right down to the chairs and tables is made from ice. The art work is beautiful and the rooms are spacious. There is a main building where there are lockers etc which is heated and where you can get warmed up if you need too. The sleeping bags they provide are more than adequate to keep you warm at night. I am not a person who tolerates the colld very well however I had no problem sleeping. I did not even have to do up the sleeping bag all the way or use the hood. The orientation is painfully detailed but it really helps. They give you some tips which come in handy, but most of it is plain old common sense.

If you need to use the washrooms at night you have to go to the main building. I just threw on shorts, a shirt and my coat and I was fine walking to and from the building. The fewer clothes you wear to bed the better.

This is something which is really worth the money for the experience.

Room tip: The theme rooms are worth the extra money.
3  Thank luv2travel9999
Reviewed 10 February 2012

My husband and I, who live in Massachusetts decided to forgo our normal caribbean vacation and head north. This vacation decision was for two reasons. 1. We have always wanted to stay at the ice hotel, and 2. My mother in-law is very sick with pancreatic cancer. We decided to it would be easier to get home if from Quebec then from the caribbean. Anyway a long story short, she has taken a turn for the worse and we felt that we needed to cancel our trip, not realizing that there is 100% NO REFUND policy due to you can not view their policy from their website. Went I called and explained our situation I can not explain how cold, rude, and unemphatic they were. They kept saying they were sorry, however would not do anything to help our situation. Everything that they offered us was going to cost us more money. They wanted us to change to a different date, however did not understand that we could not predict when we would be able to come, and that we could not just get in a car and drive 8 hours away with my mother in-law being so sick. So as the director put it "this is my final offer" book for next year and we will only charge you an additional $175 instead of our normal $175 per person. (So so generous of them). This was after I explained that we are working middle class people and can not afford to just forget about a $600 a night hotel room. This was meant to be a special getaway for us for my 40th birthday. I can only hope by next year we can overcome this experience and have a good time.
I understand that there are policies, however I just could not believe how rude the staff was at the hotel. Life does have unexpected turns, and it would be nice to have people be understanding.
On a positive note my mother in-law is doing well for the moment and we will enjoy our time with her.
I hope everyone will be prepared not to have a change in plans when you book this hotel because they are not forgiving at all. Plus it makes it difficult due to it's popularity and the short time it's open that you need to book in advance.
Good luck to all but beware.

26  Thank marcyetplouffe