“Once in a lifetime...”
Review of Hotel de Glace

Hotel de Glace
Ranked #40 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed on the Sunday night of the 2011 Family Day weekend. It was an 'interesting' once-in-a-lifetime experience. I have never done any camping before so this was my 1st overnight in a sleeping bag, let alone a -20 (?) degrees celcius sleeping bag.

The Ice Hotel area was very neat to explore, with lots of themed rooms with interesting ice sculptures. The bar area and chapel was also very well done but you've gotta love the cold to like this place enough to sleep there!

The introductory session was informative and helpful - it explained why we needed to change into our swimsuits, run out to the outdoor jacuzzi (rather fun), then get out of the hot water and run (not fun) to the outdoor sauna to dry out, then run back to the changing room (again not fun) to change into PJs before bed time (to increase one's body temperature before bunking down for the night).

We had a basic room. The mattress was not that uncomfortable and I liked the one candle which kept the room warmer - however, once it went out, you could really feel the cold. If I were to go again, I'd bring extra candles. It was a bit hard to get into the sleeping bag being a novice and feeling frozen while doing so, but we managed it. We slept until around 6am when I woke up and couldn't stand the cold anymore so we took the shuttle back to the hotel, where we slept some more. I really liked the 2 rooms package we got at the local Sheraton and having the choice of returning to the warm hotel nearby 24/7 if we so chose.

The ability to get tea, coffee or hot chocolate whenever we felt like it (included as part of our stay) was a great plus.

The absolute highlight of the trip were the friendly gentlemen who chauffeured us between the Sheraton and the Ice Hotel. In particular, Richard really made us feel comfortable and welcome when we first got there and throughout our stay.

Overall I would recommend this as a worthwhile once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'd not go back again since I have already done it once, but I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kalani_in_TO

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Lots of fun. A once in a lifetime experience. Used the hot tubs at 2 am. The arctic sleeping bags are wonderful. Unfortunately it was a rainy wet night and the roof leaked In our room so I awoke like a human Popsicle! Even so, it was an amazing experience. The artistry of the place has to be seen to be believed.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dnsmcklr
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Of course its cold, its made of ice and snow, its also stunning, it takes your breath away at times. The sculptures throughout are wonderful, from the ice chandelier to the ice stairs and slide, the bar comes alive a night when the lights come on. If you are up for something different, and dont mind running through the snow to get in the hot tubs and sauna, which is recommended to get your body temperature up before going to bed, then this is for you, if not, just take a tour its well worth your time. The chapel is a must to see, pews are covered with animal skins and the ambiance ....wow.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank banbury
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I have been visiting the Scandinavian arctic and the Swedish Ice Hotel for the last ten years so could not miss the opportunity to see what the Quebec version had to offer.

First the positive, the Hotel de Glace is a real visual spectacle; I can honestly say that more work has gone into this year’s hotel than has gone into the Swedish Ice Hotel for the last five years combined. The artistry and attention to detail in the sculpture is incredible, practically no wall is left undecorated. Unlike its Swedish counterpart it does not pretend to be made only of snow and ice so they can make use of other materials, in key areas such as the fire places in the suites and bar.

The hotel is built in phases so has two bars, a slide and a fantastic chapel; the whole thing is a must see visual spectacle that is well worth the entry fee. We even upgraded to a season pass for an extra $5 so that we could come back the next day.

On the negative side the hotel does not have any other facilities and if you don't like sleeping in a cold room there is nowhere else to go so be completely sure you want to stay the night.

The best option might be to just go and visit for the day, the hotel really comes alive once the sun goes down and the coloured lighting on the different sculptures really bring it to life.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank TWMC2010
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Most previous reviews have gone into detail about what to expect when staying at the Ice Hotel, so I will only mention a few things. First of all, it's cold but more importantly, it's cold *and* humid. Synthetic (non-cotton) clothing is a must, especially if you are going to stay overnight. If you want to stay warm throughout the night, a trip to the sauna right before going to sleep is very important as well. Listen to the staff - they've all stayed overnight at the Ice Hotel and they know what they're talking about when it comes to staying warm and getting the most out of your stay. Also, if you want to see rooms other than your own, visit the hotel before ~7pm (otherwise the rooms are prepared for the overnight guests and curtains are drawn over the "door" to each room).

The Ice Hotel website kind of markets the hotel as a romantic getaway. I don't really see it that way because it's really too cold to do anything except for put on multiple layers of clothing and huddle down in your own sleeping bag, but we were told after we checked out that many couples ask to have their sleeping bags zipped together.

I rated the sleep quality as low because I found it difficult to breathe the cold air and I couldn't keep my face warm. My husband, who is accustomed to cold weather camping, slept well. If you enjoy camping, especially winter camping, I think you'll really enjoy the Ice Hotel experience.

As for the hotel itself, it is beautiful and a work of art. It's very impressive. The experience is worth it, but it's also worth it to watch the Ice Hotel site for promotions. We booked before the hotel opened for the season and got our room (which included an upgrade to a theme suite) for about half of the regular price.

Also, I believe that this is the first year that the Ice Hotel is accesible by public transit. This worked out great for us, so I hope the Ice Hotel remains at the same site in the future.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple