“Don't trust their reservation system”
Review of B & B Saint-Louis

B & B Saint-Louis
Ranked #40 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2014

We had booked this B&B Saint Louis by phone call to the owner a week prior to our arrival on Saturday Oct 11, for 2014. I gave my credit card to hold the room as we knew we had a car rental but was unsure of when we would make it to Old Quebec the B&B for sure. We had arrived in Montreal on Thursday and had a call from our car rental company on to confirm our car rental for Saturday, so I phoned again to B&B Saint Louis on Friday to confirm our reservation for Oct 11 and he assured me he would be waiting to meet us sometime after noon on Saturday no problem. So after waiting 2 hours longer for our car rental from Montreal we headed to Quebec and arrived just after 2:00pm. The owners wife had a list of names for rooms and ours was not there so she phoned her husband who was on his way back from an errand and waited 10-15 minutes for him to arrive. He says sorry but he gave our reservation away because some lady called Friday night and cancelled it. I told him that was not us because I was the only one who knew where our reservation was and I was definitely not a woman. So he just said sorry but thats what happened. He say he had friend or relative that had a place he would drive us to free of charge back and forth from Old Quebec as the other place was 10 to 15 minutes away... well that was why we had booked the place in Old Quebec was so we would not have to worry about driving back and forth and enjoy the Old Quebec experience. He did not offer to find another place in Old Quebec nor did he offer to give us the room since we had the reservation first. So we wasted 2 hours walking around Old Quebec looking for a room and found one of the last ones... it cost us over $100 MORE for the one night as the rate was more, no breakfast and had to pay for parking. The owner did not offer anything and once we said we found something ourselves we did not see him again. I think someboday phoned and offered either more money or wanted more nights and we just got bumped. From our experience pretty hard to trust this place will have your room even when you book and give a credit card.

Room Tip: This place was right on the main street and a little busy and hard to find any free parking. You ar...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 October 2014

We recently stayed for 4 nights. The location was great. Located just within the old stone wall, minutes from Citadel and about 15 min. walk to Frontenac and the heart of Old Quebec City. Breakfasts were very nice for the first three days (all home made, delicious, fresh and plenty) but the 4th and last breakfast was mediocre. The hosts were pleasant, but also "jokingly" said they'd charge us for each little piece of information (bit tacky). The rooms were clean but generally, the place needs a bit of an upgrade for the price they asked. On our last day we spoke to guests who were charged half of what we paid. We got free parking (for small car) but the other guests were asked to pay for parking. So, the rates are really not consistent. I would suggest you negotiate the lowest price you can. One final note, when I booked, nothing was mentioned about paying in cash and yet a sign was posted (in the room) asking for cash only. I don't travel with that kind of cash so when I said so, he said it was ok to pay with credit card so I did.

Room Tip: Our room had a private bath, and although it was very small, it was adequate. Ask to have a room on...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2014

The location of this B & B is fantastic BUT there were MANY features that would keep me from staying here again. The breakfasts were fantastic during the first three mornings (different EVERY day and freshly made) but was inedible on the fourth morning! I guess they don't want their guests staying more than three nights. The room was shabby and tired looking (not perky like the online photos lead me to believe). The bathroom was tiny but at least it was clean. It was raining while we were there but I would hate to stay there in the winter - not sure if I'd be warm enough as the place was drafty. The hosts were friendly but not knowledgeable about where landmarks are located (ie: the cannonball in the tree was only steps from their door heading toward the center of town and Madam Balti said it was heading up towards the city wall). I was very off put by their "for only $5 I could tell you ... ". I didn't find that cute and endearing. They did not tell us we had to pay our bill with cash (the internet site didn't specify) and the room had a posting that stated that and since we don't travel with that much cash, I mentioned it to Ahmed and he said it would be fine to pay with our credit card. The room was on the street side and was very noisy for sleeping.

Room Tip: ask for one on the back of the building
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzie C
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This place offers you, above all, a unique experience while staying at Quebec. The owner is very kind and everyday you will find a new surprise, in particular in the delicious and tasteful breakfast. If you like old-stylish houses, you'll be amazed with this one. Location is perfect, right near the center and less than 5 minutes walking to the congress center (perfect since I was travelling to a conference).
On the downside the owner speaks no english, so you'll have to be prepared to practice your french (if you have it...). Although it was no problem for me, the mattress was too soft.
In general, my stay here exceeded my expectations, and I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tiago V
Reviewed 29 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Claudio R