“Good!”

Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Love it; reminds me of Thailand. You should definitely try the appetizer with the Keffir Leaf and the drink with it as well.! Would recommend to vegetarians and non-vegetarians as well.

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

As a vegan, it’s so great to have this restaurant as an option!!! The crispy duck is AMAZING, decent wine selection as well. The bloody vegan cocktail could use some more seasoning and a little less lemon, but that’s all I can think of that’s negative! Brought non veg friends here and they loved it too.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 15 November 2017

We had reserved to celebrate something to this restaurant which we like a lot. It was last Friday, during a food festival in Montreal and all the restaurants were booked. We were looking forward to eat again their "duck" and were happy to go back, having in mind their tasting menu at 55$, The place is small so it is better to reserve. Since the weather was exceptionally cold for that Friday ( - 6 Celsius plus winds) I asked for a table were is is warm, since i am always cold in restaurants during fall winter. I was told that all tables were the same. When we arrived in the restaurant, I noticed that the place was crowded but the people were all in jeans, wearing their coats, scarfs and even "tuques"! Even the waitresses had 3 sweaters,,, It was super cold in the restaurant... I asked if they could put some heating and was told that it was at the maximum but since they were renovating the cave, it had been cold like that for more than a week... What??? And I was not told on the phone??? What is that?? What kind of service is that, and were is the respect for the customer? I had specifically asked for a warmer table.. Were we going to spend more than 200$ for a meal that would be cold on minutes and eaten with a winter coat on? I am sorry but kind of "disrespectfulness" is unacceptable. Why had n't they told us? Why hadn't they bought some temporary heating units at a hardware store? SO now, I am asking myself if they are willing to treat their customers like that, what are they doing in the kitchen, which "shortcuts" are they taking? Now I really see that they are cheap and I will not go back. We left and because we had no reservation we had a very hard time finding a restaurant on a Friday evening., and our celebration was a mess, We finally ended up at Milos at 9:30 ( First class Greek restaurant), After having tried to get in at many places which were fully booked. They ruined our evening. Thank God Milos had a special menu that evening and the bill was exceptionally lower than it would have been at Chu Chai and the restaurant is a first class international chic restaurant, with an outstanding service and very chic customers. We won,t go back to Chu Chai, We do not forgive that kind of behaviors.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Right on Saint-Denis near the heart of the lower Plateau is Chu Chai, a popular vegan Asian restaurant. The dishes range from good to excellent, the menu is diverse, and the location is convenient. The desserts were pretty good, I must confess. "Mock meat" restaurants are scarce in Montreal and if you like southeast Asian flavours, Chu Chai might be a good option, although a bit pricey. The main problem with Chu Chai is the service. Chu Chai's staff consists of team of snobs, which seemed to go hand in hand with the bobo (bourgeois bohemian) atmosphere of the restaurant and the clientele. After being seating, our party waited for 15 minutes to be offered a drink. Other groups who came in later were served in half the time. Our party consisted of a multilingual group. Our foreign accents seemed to offend the ears of the staff. At the end of the meal, after we finally got the check, the server threw the receipts on the table. Luckily Montreal has other vegetarian options where the service and atmosphere are a bit warmer and more welcoming to all.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank Inspace
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

We visited this delightful restaurant when we were staying in the Mont Royal/Plateau neighborhood of Montreal. Great dining experience all the way around, from decor to first rate service and unbelievably delicious all-vegan Thai food. Don't miss this one!

Date of visit: October 2017