“Wow! Don't miss out. Just go. Buy the food.”

Patati Patata friterie de luxe
Ranked #103 of 6,247 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

Can't rate this place highly enough.

The food was fresh and delicious. Top notch breakfast sandwiches, poutine, and what an amazing hamburger.

We keep going back because the food is so cheap and good.

We arrived at this small diner, and instantly, patrons moved to accommodate our party of three at the bar. Menu is in French, and like much of Montreal, the staff will attempt to conduct business with you in French at first, but were glad to explain menu items in English.

All of the food was top notch and prepared on the griddle in front of us. Ingredients were fresh.

The bar seats about 5 people, and there are a few two-tops near the windows. On a weekend night, this place is packed with locals and lucky visitors 'in the know' about this underrated gem.

Make sure you look at both menus. They have a separate menu for breakfast and lunch.

You can get a small selection of beer on tap here.

The only bad thing about Patati Patata is that the food is so good, it makes you remember that life is fleeting, you are mortal, and that you cannot have your poutine and eat it, too.
But you can always order more. And at Patati Patata, the prices are so good, you -will- order more.

I wanted my $4 oeuf and fromage sandwich to last forever. I wanted the $3 hamburger to last forever. In fact, when we ordered the hamburgers, the waitstaff looked at us quite seriously and said, "are you -sure- you just want -one-?" We, not fully understanding the depth of culinary experience we were about to enjoy, replied "Non, merci, we just want one each,". We got our burgers to go and liberated them from their paper jackets as we walked down the sidewalk. The first thing any of us said was, "we should have listened to her and gotten more than one." But it sounded more like "umgn uh mrissena herrun gotten morrenwon," because we had our mouths unapologetically full of delicious burger.

The hamburgers aren't White Castle or Krystal small; more like a Five Guys small burger size. But still, get two. You'll thank me. But thank Patati Patata first by giving them your loonies in exchange for menu items.

Also, notice how I didn't say that the food was "good for the price," or "good for a dive bar/diner", but objectively good? Objectively good.

Subjectively good, too, but also objectively good.

Tofu burger also available.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

My daughter took me to Montreal for the weekend and one of the places she said we must go was Patati to get Poutine. This was my first time trying it and it was wonderful. I understand why every time she is in town she stops by this little gem and orders Poutine.

1  Thank 1957-baby
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Sorry but I don't understand all the fuss.
Restaurant is super small, it makes it nice and cozy.
The poutine is good, but I have seen better elsewhere.
Fries, sauce, peppers, oignons, mushroom and cheese. Been there done that.
I will try again, maybe I did not choose the right one...

1  Thank Michel G
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

Found this little treasure while walking down a street in Montreal and was so happy we went in! Tiny place but great food, lovely service all for affordable prices!! Try their version of Poutine, highly recommendable!

Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

I stopped just to try this well rated, minuscule eatery we kept driving by. The service at the bar was friendly and extremely fast, but the food I had to go was unexpectedly bad. The French fries very tasty but incredibly greasy, while the fish burger so soggy that felt apart in my hands. In positive news the fish was not greasy and the price was simply unbeatable. I will need to try again sitting down to one of the very few tables