“Best filet mignon ever”
Review of Verses Bistro

Verses Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Verses Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 6,172 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$17 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Rue St-Sulpice
Transit: Metro Place d'Armes Bus: 55
Description: Verses Bistro offers a sophisticated and accessible contemporary cuisine. Inspired by Montreal's eclectic gastronomic scene, the menu offers comforting dishes showcasing local products. No matter the season, Verses Bistro showcases what local merchants have to offer. Hence, freshness is the essential ingredient in each plate. As for the wine selection, the sommelier introduces us to a rich variety of notes and flavors, with a diverse and carefully selected wine list.
Reviewed 6 December 2017

We were staying at the Hotel Nelligan in early December and decided to have dinner in one evening. Verses Bistro is right there off the hotel lobby. The décor is elegant, cosy and warm with lots of dark wood and twinkly Christmas lights at this time of year. It really sets an intimate, relaxing mood. It was Monday night so not very crowded, which I also enjoyed.
I ordered the filet mignon which came with what the menu described as a "bone marrow and herbs potato purée, sweet peas and truffle". I asked for the meat to be done medium-well, which I know is often an abomination for good chefs everywhere, but it arrived just as I asked and perfectly done. It was seared beautifully, seasoned impeccably with salt, tender and flavourful. I think it is the best filet mignon I've ever had. I still dream of it... My dinner companion really just wanted a salad. The waitress kindly explained that salad is on the lunch menu only but she and the chef conspired to create a lovely large mixed green salad with thin slices of veal, shavings of parmesan cheese, pumpkin seeds and even an egg. Needless to say, it was thoroughly enjoyed. We only drank Eska sparkling water so we can't comment on what appeared to be an extensive selection of wines. Overall it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and I would definitely make a beeline for Verses next time I'm in Old Montreal.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

My experience as Verses summed up in a word: fine. I really enjoyed my risotto, my mom did not really enjoy her chestnut soup, the sommelier was great, our waitress changed every single time someone came over, and even though none of them were sure if they made our amaretto coffees with the amaretto, we were sent replacements free of charge. Everything just was "okay," especially for the price. The only part that really felt worth the higher cost was the risotto. I'd say that if you can't get into any other restaurant, this one is fine to go in - just not sure I'd say it's worth going out of your way to eat here.

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

On a business trip, we stopped here because it was later and other restaurants had 46 minutes wait. I had the French onion soup and the Verses salad. They were both really good. Others in the group had sushi and steak, which they stated was good. The service was prompt and the wine list was good.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

I had the chance to meet the sommelier (Pamela) at a Procure event last week, at the William Gray Hotel. She told me the restaurant had a new menu, decor and wine list, so I had to check it out for myself : my wife and I were really not disappointed! The place looks great, very romantic and chique, the food was superb (I was recommended the scallops tartare, which was fabulous! and my wife had the foie gras because I tasted it at the event and it was really good) and for main we had the pressed lamb leg and the snapper, all were exquisite! The sommelier was there to suggest us a great pairing, considering a certain budget. The place was busy (it was a Saturday), but I still had great service and our mains took about 20-25 minutes to arrive, which is fine. They seem to have a large and qualified team of servers.
I highly recommend Verses for a romantic dinner or a double-date so you can share a nice bottle of white with the apps and a good red with the mains!

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

I had the chestnut soup which was fine but not spectacular. My daughter enjoyed the risotto. And we had a fairly good dessert. My problem comes in that we both ordered Amaretto coffees we got two different drinks. They did remake them but I’m still not sure that we actually got what we ordered. The service slowed down and it took forever to get our bill.