“Disappointing!”
Review of Modavie

Modavie
Reserve with OpenTable
Modavie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 6,247 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$16 - US$37
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: St. Laurent
Transit: Place D'armes Metro
Description: Seven nights a week, local bands take the stage at Montreal's hottest Jazz bar and bistro. Modavie's spirited setting sets the scene for a night of great tunes, top dining and generous pastis toasting. The bistro's far-reaching wine menu hits just the right notes and helps round off succulent lamb, fish, beef and inspired pasta dishes.
Reviewed 20 June 2017

After reading the rave reviews, and seeing Modavie's stellar place in Montreal's lineup of restaurants, my friend and I went with high expectations. We ordered the "grilled sea bass", and were shocked when it arrived about 5 minutes after we placed the order. The entire ensemble tasted like it had been sitting out under warm lights, one in a line of preprepared dishes waiting for people to order them: the fish was tasteless and dry, the risotto it sat on also without taste, and wet.

Given the restaurant's reputation, as well as the price we were paying, we sent it back. The waiter was initially accommodating, but we waited almost an hour for our replacement, as if in retribution, while newcomers around us were served. And the waiter appeared visibly annoyed with us.

The replacement - the much vaunted lamb chops for me, and a lamb burger for my friend, were mediocre, the chops well seasoned, but thin and greasy, the burger merely okay.

This restaurant absolutely does not deserve its rating, at least not based on the experience of my friend and me. I've been to better "greasy spoons", at a third of the price. Perhaps, because the restaurant is in prime Old Montreal, and caters to tourists, rather than locals, it treats its food preparation as "throwaway".

At least on our night!

Rachel T, Manager at Modavie, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

Please allow me to offer my apologies. Although we are a high volume restaurant, we do not prepare anything in advance hoping people will order them. As for the waiting period for your food the second time ,an hour is definitely unacceptable. please know that I will look into it, thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,924)

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

We dined at Modavie at the suggestion of the desk clerk at Auberge de Pomerol. The service was outstanding. We had an arugula salad with calamari and then roasted lamb with fresh ravioli in a cream sauce, accompanied by glasses of proseco. The restaurant is located very near the Old Port which has quaint streets and interesting shops.

1  Thank 442betty
Rachel T, Manager at Modavie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Thank you Betty for your wonderful comments, we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2017

My husband and I went to Modavie for dinner on a Saturday evening. The place was lively with a great atmosphere. We sat on the patio, which was perfect for a warm June evening. Next time I would likely sit inside to enjoy the live music. The food and drinks were excellent (calamari, fillet mignon and sea bass with risotto). Lorenzo was an amazing host. Very attentive and welcoming. We will definitely go back the next time we are in Montreal.

1  Thank Lindsay F
Rachel T, Manager at Modavie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Thank you for sharing your kind words with us on tripadvisor. We look forward to having you again!

Reviewed 17 June 2017

From start to finish the dining experience was top notch. Lorenzo greeted us at the door, and while we had never been there before, he had learned all our names in seconds. We were two couples, old friends who really wanted to catch up. We were provided with a perfect environment to do just that. Our meal was wonderful and our table service, by Francois was exceptional. We will most certainly return on our next visit to Montreal. Highly highly recommend!

1  Thank GH B
Rachel T, Manager at Modavie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

We appreciate your kind words about our friendly customer service and good food. We hope you will come back to see us on your next visit! Thank you.

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

Excellent meal! So good in fact that my wife and I are planning to go back and sample some of the other dishes.

Warm and welcoming, Lorenzo and the staff made the entire experience that much better.

1  Thank DavidF2807
Rachel T, Manager at Modavie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

thank you David for the perfect rating, we look forward to seeing you again soon!