“Delicious Food and Outstanding Hospitality!”

Restaurant Au-Tarot
Ranked #766 of 6,250 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed 30 April 2017

I had not heard of Au Tarot, but went there in March with a group of friends and colleagues. I did not know what to expect but I left the restaurant that evening thoroughly impressed with both the service and the quality and quantity of the food served! We had a three course meal that started with a fresh salad before we were treated to the main course of lamb, couscous, vegetables, and sausages, and then the evening ended with a wonderfully rich baklava for dessert. Having never had lamb before visiting this restaurant, I now do not believe there is a better place to first experience it! The lamb was cooked perfectly, such that it was tender enough to fall off the bone when coaxed with a fork. When paired with the couscous and vegetables, it made for a delicious meal that makes me hungry just thinking about it. We came in a large group and everyone left absolutely stuffed and there was still food left on the trays. There is no shortage of the delicious food that they serve. The staff were all extremely friendly, and Monsieur Nouredine was a great host. I would recommend anyone who comes to Montreal to try this restaurant, even if you have never had Middle Eastern or Mediterranean cuisine before!

1  Thank Wyatt_9

Reviewed 28 April 2017

As recent and regular visitors to Au Tarot, we were again overwhelmed by the friendly hospitality and the wonderfully delicious meal served by the chef-owner and his attentive staff. The salad with the special house dressing is a delectable mixture of vegetables and cheese. All of the meat is terrific, and so are the merguez sausages, but our special favourite is the incredibly tender and succulent lamb, served with couscous and a rich and fragrant sauce. Portions are lavish: no one could possibly go home hungry. The deserts are also melt-in-your-mouth outstanding, a great accompaniment to the refreshing mint tea. Guests are generously encouraged to linger and savour their meals in this friendly atmosphere. This time there were just three of us, but we have often been to the restaurant with larger groups, and both the service and the food were just as amazing.

1  Thank IvanaDavid
Reviewed 4 December 2016

Restaurant Au Tarot is a MUST GO when we visit Montreal.
Monsieur Nouredine is always a warm and generous host. It's like visiting family!
A cozy moroccan decor takes you to places far away for an authentic experience.
Plats du jour or a la carte, the portions are large and excellently prepared.
The Salade Tarot is a beautifully arranged pile of the freshest hearts of palm, artichoke hearts and feta on crisp romaine with a delicious addictive dressing which I would love to learn the recipe.
Couscous Royal is a feast for the senses.
You will be served a selection of roasted meats with a flavourful vegetable soup, plump raisins, chickpeas and spicy harissa to serve over fluffy couscous.
We also order the Lamb Tajine, an exotic sweet and savory treat that I must have whenever we visit.
BYOW (bring your own wine) and I would highly recommend you don't miss this one.

Reviewed 27 November 2016

Impressed! And I don't say it often!
I had lamb shank couscous and I would return tomorrow for another one! Rodolph the waiter was impeccable as well! Washrooms are clean! Highly recommend for a family / friends supper or a romantic Mediterranean date!

1  Thank Laurent_CAN
Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

A cozy and authentic decor along with a warm welcome make this restaurant a pleasant experience. We were offered off-menu dishes such as the lamb mechoui which along with the couscous royal and the lemon chicken tagine were as delicious as any we tasted in Morocco. Parking is an issue and the prices are on the higher side but the portions are generous. Overall a lovely experience.