“Original and charming pastry shop with small tearoom”
Review of Bar a Beurre

Bar a Beurre
Ranked #22 of 92 Bakeries in Montreal
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Can be hard to book because there are only 11 seats in this cosy little gem of a teahouse. Everything is homemade and although some of it I find too sweet, the scones, buttermilk biscuits and lemon boules à beurre are wonderful.

Afternoon tea very reasonably priced - large teapots, house-made berry preserves, very good fresh mini sandwiches and numerous sweets served on mismatched classic English china.

Reviewed 16 April 2016

I've been to this cafe several times. The first was with a voucher and they piled high the Italian cookies and cupcakes which were bought for a song, and delicious. This drove me back to buy cupcakes and a few cookies for an event when I was in Old Montreal. Next up, a voucher to afternoon tea and it was so good that the next time a voucher appeared, I snapped it up and went again with a different friend. Afternoon tea here is quasi traditional. There are China cups and saucers and lovely large tea pots, and a choice of tea--I had Earl Grey, my friend this time selected one of the more exotic blends. My EG was fabulous. I drink a lot of it and know quality. My friend's tea seemed weak and never quite got to a good brew. On the cute 3-tiered serving dish was: 1/2 a cucumber sandwich each; 1/2 an eggplant, tomato, cheese and etc. sandwich each, on French bread. These are spin-offs on traditional sandwiches and because of the breads were substantial though only 2 halves each. There were 'butter rolls' the waitress said, which were a substitute for scones--this is, after all, Quebec, where afternoon tea is not a tradition and there are only a small handful of places that even serve it. The butter rolls were good, served without butter but with raspberry jam. The desserts consisted of a cupcake each which we split so we'd each get 1/2 of both. They do excel at cupcakes here. The other desserts I'd had before and they are killer sweet so I suggested my friend take them to the dinner party she was attending that night. The waitress boxed the little colorful sugar delights and I think here were 8 or 9 of two different types. This is a VERY small cafe, only 3 tables for 2, and a bar with maybe 3 stools, so reserving for tea is crucial. There's a long counter with the desserts and they serve a variety of coffees as well. It's a really nice thing to do with a friend and both the friends I went with on my two visits want to return. The voucher gave us 1/2 price on the afternoon tea but even at full price it's very reasonable @ $30 for 2. If you like charming, this cafe is highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

This café is amazing! My friend and I were walking around Old Montreal looking for a place to eat and we came across this.
First of all, they have some eye catching front displays that will want to make you go inside.
We got inside and it’s very small, (like European/French café type) but you can fit a good 20 people in here; they have chairs and table.
They have sooo much stuff, it is unbelievable. The menu is on the wall somewhat easy to read.
I ordered Nutella Latte and OMG it was amazing. I also bought some Macarons; the macarons were great- they had great flavour combination.
Total for my order was $10.00 including the Latte. To me, that was really good price.
We stayed for like 45 mins to an hour and it was great.
The service was GREAT. The servers were really helpful and friendly. They also brought us water when we asked for it.

Would I go back here? 101% yes I would!!!!! I wish we can find something like this in Ottawa!!

Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

Every time we come to Montreal we order 6 bags of the lemon cookies to take back to Toronto. They are my husbands favourite and they remind him of his nonna. It a little bakery full of delicious treats and sandwiches. Everything is freshly made! An espresso and a lemon cookie is the best way to start off your day in Montreal! Enjoy!

Reviewed 18 February 2016

This place has the perfect little treats and such cute gift ideas as well. Make sure you try the nona maria. So happy to have found this gem!