See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My recent experience with Hotel Viger was absolutely horrendous. First a bit of background, I love Montreal, visiting every 2 years and have always booked a room at Hotel Viger upon referral from a dear friend.
The first two stays were wonderful. It is only a 2 star hotel, so it’s not the ritz, but it was clean, bug free, full bath, and good service. Therefore I booked my reservation for a 4 night stay on January 22nd, 2014. This reservation was for August 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th, 2014.
The day of August 15th, I received a phone call from Hotel Viger saying they over-booked and that we would be transferred to the Econo Hotel (Auberge Louisbourg Hotel) up the street. Saying we were being upgraded to a more expensive location, and that they would hold our price and pay the difference.
They did indeed hold the price, but the place was an absolute dump, as you can review on the photos provided. So upon our arrival at midnight, the person at the front desk said we can pay one night, and return to Hotel Viger in the morning for the remainder of our stay.
We attempted this, with very poor reception and a story change, stating it was due to our room having flooding issues. OK if it was indeed a plumbing issue, we should have been relocated to another room at Hotel Viger, being we book our reservation 7 months in advance, and someone with a lesser booking time should have been transferred to another hotel.
To make it worst, the day desk person at the Econo Hotel (Auberge Louisbourg Hotel) decided to book our room to other people, while we were in the midst of sorting things out with the manager of Hotel Viger. So they were playing games with us knowing we travelled from Toronto, that we would be forced to accept the room. We were lucky to get our room back for the remaining 3 nights. It turns out that it is the same manager for both Hotel Viger and the Econo Hotel (Auberge Louisbourg Hotel). So they were not doing us any favours, but were treating returning customers in the worst possible manor. REALLY GREAT FOR BUSINESS.
It turns out that is it was Gay Pride weekend in Montreal, and the city was absolutely jammed full of people. I honestly think we were shuffled around so that they (Hotel Viger) could capitalize on last minute customers who were willing to pay the full hotel rates that had sky-rocketed for Gay Pride weekend. I guess booking with a credit card 7 months in advance means absolutely nothing to this hotel.
I could not believe how we were treated, and will never return to Hotel Viger, or the sleazy Econo Hotel (Auberge Louisbourg Hotel). But I will not let this experience dampen my love for the fun city of Montreal. I will be returning, but staying at a respectable hotel that knows the concept of hospitality.

Room tip: Stay clear of this place, the picture posted on their web site is nothing like the room we had. The room we had was dingy, bad dry-walling, the toilet rocked back and forth, grout was crumbling and filthy, the shower sprayed into the bathroom space, and the toilet had a permanent stain.
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Scott2016
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I picked this hotel only because of the walking distance to McGill University, but regreded when I found myself suffering from 24 bug bites in the mid of night! This is the worst hotel experience ever in my life! I believe there are plenty good hotels in Montreal.

Room tip: Check out the bed bugs before stay!
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank peace082412
Reviewed 7 September 2011

YULY was our service attendant at the hotel. She was great. Helped with questions and was good at advising what to do in the city while there. The hotel was kept very decent and the location is accessible to parking lots, rent a bikes, hot spots and etc. Check it out!

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jay p
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I stayed at this fleabag hotel (no room service) recently. I checked in in the evening and it was the only room left in the hotel. A lot of the hotels in town were already booked or overpriced. They gave me a room for $65 in the building 2 doors away. The old building smelled of urine and rotting wood but the lady at the desk assured me that the room was clean. Anyway, it was fairly clean though it smelled a bit and the room was on a slant facing downwards. The room was a cubbyhole and so small that u could not open the door all the way because the bed was in the way. There was no coffeemaker or faceclothes. There was a teenyweeny hair dryer mounted on the wall and an air conditioner and tv, which was kind of hard to watch because it was on a bureau that was on a downwards slant. Just like the hotel itself-going downhill all the way. In the morning, ta da!! Breakfast was served in the cramped dining area and it consisted of horrible bitter coffee( I wonder if they wrung the coffee out of an old dirty towel) , orange juice, milk, and a cold croissant with a packet of strawberry jam( no other flavor was offered). I decided to give them a second chance and stayed a second night hoping to get a better room and was given a much larger room on the main floor for $65. The room has a carpet that was a bit worn and again, no coffeemaker and only one facecloth for a double room. There was the TV and airconditioner and a bistro table with 2 badly stained chairs. The bedspread stunk of bad body odor and I changed it around to the other side and it smelled better from that end. The bedspread also had some cigarette holes in it. I awoke the next morning to itchy red blotches on my skin and they looked like bed bug or mite bites. They went away in a few days. The same lousy breakfast was served in the morning and they seriously consider giving their coffeemaker a good cleaning as well as the hotel itself. This place is no gem. I would not stay there again if it was for free! I am sure the cockroaches would feel at home here.

Room tip: shop around!!
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank sugarpie_11
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I didn't stay in this hotel for longer than 10 minutes. I went to my room, pulled back the sheets to inspect for bed bugs, and saw a few critters scurry away from the light. I picked up my luggage, ran downstairs, and told the concierge that I'd found bugs and I didn't want to stay anymore. He didn't believe me at first - he insisted that a mother and daughter had stayed the night before, and asked that we head upstairs to check the bed. I found additional dead bugs under the mattress. He finally decided to refund my money, and I stayed elsewhere that weekend.

The bathroom had hair all over the floor and sink, and the carpet was also dirty. Stay away from this disgusting hotel, and always check your sheets and mattress for bed bugs while staying in Montréal.

Room tip: Check your mattress and sheets for bed bugs.
Date of stay: August 2011