“Decent food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant Greasy Spoon

Restaurant Greasy Spoon
Ranked #1,018 of 5,602 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: A very warm Decor for the cold season, a lively and sunny terrace for the summer season, market cuisine that evolves with freshness. Complimented by a young and dynamic team to accompany you during this experience, that's why Greasy Spoon has always been a must for more than 4 years on Laurier.
Montreal, Quebec
“Decent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I went here just the other day after grabbing some beers at the bar Die du Ciel beforehand. I got the maple glazed pork belly as well as the lobster mac and cheese, and shared it with 2 people. While the food combo was good, it seems a bit overpriced for just those two things. It was nice to go to for a small supper though. I would recommend the dishes I tried as they were pretty good!

• Visited February 2012

Montreal
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Me and my friends had seen this place a few times when going to Dieu du Ciel (a brewpub two blocks away) but by the time we finish at Dieu it's usually late and we're pretty full, so we never checked out.

However, last time we went in the afternoon and still had an appetite afterwards so after perusing the menu on the window, we decided to go give it a try.

We were immediately informed that the concept was "small plates meant to be shared". We were 3 people and ordered two dishes: Maple-glazed pork belly with polenta, and lobster macaroni & cheese. We weren't very hungry so it was perfect to split.

Both dishes were divine. The pork belly was smooth like butter when you cut into it and melted in my mouth. The lobster mac & cheese was rich, creamy and full of delicious lobster flavor. The prices were pretty much spot-on for the quality of food we received.

A word of warning, if you are very hungry and coming here for a large, filling meal, you will end up either unsatisfied or spending alot of money. This is the kind of place to stop in for a quick bite as part of a larger evening. I would NOT come here and make a meal out of it.

With that said, I will likely return next time I'm in the area for Dieu, and I'll likely do the same thing I did this time: split 2-3 dishes with a small group of people.

• Visited February 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Overpriced and disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I went to Greasy Spoon this evening expecting upscale diner-style food. I was told by the waitress that the plates were small and meant to share. I read the menu and came upon dishes such as salmon tartare, grilled octopus, lamb chops and bavette de boeuf. Don't get me wrong, this all sounds delicious but at a place called Greasy Spoon? Upon asking the waitress about their famous gourmet hamburgers, I was told they now only come in small sliders. $14 for 3 tiny sliders with no sides. The $19 lamb chop plate came with what looked like watercress with a dijon dressing. One of the two lamb chops was sent back immediately since it was raw . The only thing this restaurant has going for itself is the decor: cozy, rustic and yet trendy atmosphere. Btw, the $16 grilled octopus was doused in what tasted like barbecue sauce and was served over store-bought potato salad. Not very appetizing. If you're debating about going to Greasy Spoon, save your money and run to your local McDonalds instead. At least you know what you're getting there.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Christina K
Montreal, Canada
“Tapas style portions, great ambiance!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The name is all wrong! Wrong wrong wrong! With a name comes a certain expectation but that was about the only thing that disappointed. The place is small but cozy and comfortable, the ambiance is great! Trendy chic! The menu is varied but so hard to read, just one page with an incredibly small font. All food is served in tapas sizes! Not cheap but a great experience. We had salmon tartar (awesome), smoked meat poutine, beef sliders and tuna sliders! All the food was great but we were still hungry! Alas we went with the wrong intentions, the name lead us to believe we were in for a feed instead it tantalized our taste buds. I would return for a 5 a 7 style evening of drinks and snacks but not for a meal. Overall good!

Edmonton, Canada
“Nice evening out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

The service was attentive and food options were varied. The appetizer and entrees were very flavorful. A little on the pricey side for a casual evening, but you pay for the nice atmosphere and service. The patio is great for the summer weather.

• Visited August 2011