“Peace & Tranquility 5 minutes from Downtown”

Strom Spa Nordique Ile-des-Soeurs
Ranked #6 of 89 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Come enjoy a unique relaxation experience surrounded by all the wonders of nature…five minutes from downtown Montreal. Located on the shores of a lake, Strøm Nordic Spa offers you an exceptionally beautiful natural setting.Enjoy thermal experience in nature, massages, treatments and bistro.Our facilities include outdoor whirlpools, thermal and Nordic baths, Finnish saunas, eucalyptus steam bath, thermal and Nordic waterfalls, indoor and outdoor relaxation areas with fireplaces.Open everyday from 9am to 10pm.
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Strom Spa is a mini-vacation 5 minutes from Downtown. I chose the Alize package and enjoyed every minute. First I started with a 60 min massage...chilled out after in the 'thermal bath experience' and then onto an exfoliating scrub treatment. It was a wonderful feeling to cleanse and moisturize from head to toe...can't wait to return! Perhaps one evening, could be a fun date...

1  Thank janieb50
Rosalie1234, Public Relations Manager at Strom Spa Nordique Ile-des-Soeurs, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Janie,
Thank you very much for your great review. I am glad you enjoyed every minute of your Alizé package and that Strom spa contributes to your wellbeing.We look foward to welcome you again in a near future, perhaps one evening for a lovely date! :)

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Best. Spa. Ever. Beautiful, clean, relaxing...take me there now!

Rosalie1234, Public Relations Manager at Strom Spa Nordique Ile-des-Soeurs, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear SunnyMojito,

Wow! Thank you for your great review! We look foward to welcome you again in a near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I visited Strom Spa on a Saturday afternoon in mid-February 2012 after an exerting morning. We greatly enjoyed the experience - more so than other spas we've visited.

I would have rated the spa five stars, but for the outrageously unpleasant experience with the staff, detailed below.

Our visit started on an extremely sour note, and I worried that the day would be ruined. I'd phoned ahead a few days in advance to reserve a slot for a 90-minute massage for my wife, the "spa experience" package for two, and the wine-and-cheese-plate package for two. The telephone receptionist, in broken English, reserved the massage spot, but told me that reservations were not made for the spa experience or wine-and-cheese thing, because they're always available, and you just ask for it at the door.

Upon our arrival, there were quite a few people there (once inside, it didn't seem crowded, but was fairly busy). I asked whether it was possible to reserve a second massage spot and was told that no slots were available - all were booked and there was a waiting list (fair enough, given that I didn't reserve the second massage session in advance). My wife then decided that she wasn't in the mood for a massage, so I tried to cancel that. After 20 minutes of arguing with the receptionist and manager, they made it clear that cancellation would not be permitted (why the "waiting list" then?) and that I'd be charged the full amount whether the massage was performed or not. Eventually, I agreed that I'd take the massage instead of my wife.

At THAT point (not previously), the staff informed me that my wife could not enter the spa, because there were too many women present (no locker available) -- so the entire time the spa was arguing that my wife couldn't cancel her massage appointment, they knew that they were going make her sit in their waiting room for MORE THAN TWO HOURS!!! That seems unreasonable to me.

As I contemplated exactly how much of a scene to make in the crowded waiting room and mentally reviewed the procedure for contesting a disputed credit card charge after walking out, the manager offered a compromise - my wife could change in the ladies' locker room, and give me her clothes to put into my locker in the men's locker room. Good enough - at least it got us in the door.

Once that initial fiasco was over, the bad taste quickly left my mouth. Even on what was apparently a busy day, the facilities were pretty amazing. The complex includes two 'hot' pools (not uncomfortably hot), a few cold pools, a couple of steam rooms (eucalyptus and 'ordinary'), a couple of saunas (one a dry 'essential oil' sauna, the other a regular dry sauna, a small outdoor fire pit, and a few comfortable "relaxation rooms" (one with a wood fireplace). Most of the sites overlook a small lake, which was lovely even though frozen over the day we were there. Massages are performed in private tents to one side.

The atmosphere is very serene. Polite staff circulating among the sites enforce a 'very quiet' rule (silence isn't required, but voices much above a whisper are quickly and politely shush-ed -- much appreciated, even though I was guilty once). The clientele at the spa seemed much younger than other spas we've attended - average age was about 30-35, and the clientele was about 2/3 women and 1/3 men the day we were there. Despite the mix, no part of the experience seemed like a 'singles' scene.

The eucalyptus steam room was my favorite, but many folks seemed to favor different sites - that is, no one site seemed overly crowded, although the hot pools were probably the most popular generally.

We were a bit surprised at how much we enjoyed the cafe, including the wine-and-cheese plate. The cheese (five were available, three came with the cheese plate) were excellent and well cared for. Several of the available wines seemed kind of pedestrian, so we selected one (Kim Crawford New Zealand Sauvignon) that we knew nothing about. It was really quite excellent. I heard a few other diners commenting favorably about their wines (don't know what they were drinking), so it seems the cafe is rather nice. If I went again, I'd consider eating lunch there, as it appeared that sandwiches and other light fare was available.

My wife was pleased with her massage. I don't know much more than that, other than she wouldn't say so if she weren't. I believe that "Claudia" was her masseuse.

We stayed while the sun set. If the day hadn't been cloudy, it might have been a nicer sight to see. Still, the spa (open until 9, I think) was very pleasant after dark.

If I were returning, I'd go for the wine-and-cheese package again - a good deal, and the spa experience was the real attraction - I could do it all day!

(I saw several comments regarding slippery locker rooms. I thought the men's locker room was fine - it didn't seem slippery to me, and I thought it was nicely laid out.)

1  Thank kristyne867

Thank you for your review.
We would like to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate situation that you and your wife have gone through on the day of your appointments. We do ask our staff members to respect the cancellation policy otherwise other people might I've liked to book a massage.
We have taken with high consideration your comments and with them, will be able to improve our customer service and make your next visit, one to remember. Fortunately, the thermal experience and the bistro seemed to have transformed your day into a pleasant experience.
We look forward in welcoming you again in the future.

Yours sincerily,

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The outside spas were incredible. Go in the evening. Price are lower and the darkness wit the amazing hot tubs & pools really makes the place special. Massages were amazing too. Very cold outside but pools were do toasty and hot. Loved the robes. Be careful-- floors in locker room extremely slippery. Loved the spa & can't wait to go back...

1  Thank LAURAandGLENN

Thank you for your great review!
I am glad that our thermal experience and our massage therapist contributed to your wellbeing!
Thank you as well for your comment about the locker rooms, we will make sure that the floors won't be too slippery anymore.
We look foward to welcome you again in a near future,
The Strom Spa Team

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Storm is a great place to getaway while staying close to the city. The facilities are clean and classy, and the staff are professional.

Rosalie1234, Public Relations Manager at Strom Spa Nordique Ile-des-Soeurs, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for your great review!
You are right, we do feel peace and tranquility at Strom spa while being 5 minutes from downtown!
We look foward to welcome you again in a near future,