“A+ for dish presentation”
Review of Mas Cuisine - CLOSED

Mas Cuisine
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We decided to give Mas Cuisine a visit after reading a fantastic review on local newspaper. The six of us (3 couples) sampled different dishes and we all agreed on two things: portions are generous and presentation is absolutely gorgeous.

For the food, only 2 main dishes are worth the detour: the "Sweetbread" and the "Onglet de boeuf". On the contrary, the "Scallops" is too oily and the "Crispy duck leg" is not worth the money. I love "beef tartare" but my appetizer is a little bit too salty that day at Mas.

Desserts are quite good but not extraordinary. Service is discrete but efficient. Make sure to reserve first before you go.

In general, our group can only give a B+ vote for Mas Cuisine. The question now is should we return to give this restaurant a second chance?

2  Thank Duke_of_MTL

Reviewed 26 November 2012

4 of us went for supper; the entrées especially the tartare were very good if would suggest that the cook eases up on the fleur de sel (salt) it tends to be a bit overused ; 3 of us had the onglet and the food was well presented one had porc and it was good. The deserts were also good. Service a bit slow ( 3 hours from start to finish)but it was ok since we had plenty to chat about.
Would I go back...not sure...a 3 course meal is $50 per person plus taxes and tips, a wine bottle is around $50, they also serve wine by the glass. Enjoyable evening but for the same money I think I can do a bit better.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

What a great restaurant. Most likely the best quality/price ratio in Montreal on top of it.

Every dish is delicately prepared by the Chef-Owner (which you can see because of an open kitchen concept). You can tell every detail of each dish is cleaverly tought off and executed.

I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great food experience...even though the restaurant is a little off the beaten path.

Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

Went there on the recommendation of the owners of Raymond's in St John, NL as this is where they eat when in Montreal.

Everything was perfect and presented beautifully, service was impeccable.

Go there if your in Montreal, it's a little out of the way but its a gem to behold.

ENJOY!

Reviewed 27 October 2012

After having read such good things, I was disappointed with Mas Cuisine on all fronts.

The decor is sparse and cozy. At 8PM on a Friday, the place was full, as expected. However, within an hour, the dining room was half-empty and by our desert, we were one table away from being the last ones there. The reduced noise level, combined with bad music (in my opinion...) made for a pretty boring atmosphere.

Service was friendly, but felt rushed. In hindsight, knowing that most tables were on their way out, it's hard to explain this - all orders would have already been taken. Had the food been fantastic, I probably wouldn't have noticed, however...

The food was not great. From the uninspired bread basket with over-salted butter to the soggy shrimp fritters to the confusing flavours of the apple crumble dessert, almost everything felt 'off'. My main dish, beef short ribs with gnocchi, was the highlight, and even then the gnocchi tasted pasty and store-bought.

Given all the fantastic reviews, perhaps I went on a bad night. But with so many fantastic restaurants in Montreal, it's hard to recommend a visit based on my experience.

1  Thank oogli