“Great Palmier and breakfast panini”
Review of Olive & Gourmando

Olive & Gourmando
Ranked #45 of 6,060 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed 28 December 2016

The line was 45 minutes long, and we got there 15 minutes after they opened (9:00). I got pastries while we waited for our table, and I'm glad since it took a while. Everything I wanted kept selling out before I got to the front of the line. The palmier was wonderful! The apple-chai-caramel brioche was good, but I could leave it next time. We had the breakfast panini - it was different than I had expected, but pretty good. They have a very limited breakfast menu, so if you're wanting eggs or something more substantial, this isn't your place. Be sure to put your name on the list first thing when you go inside.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed 28 December 2016

I know that this place has a bit of a celeb-sighting cult following, but I didn't know anything about that the first time I stumbled in with some friends. The place is busy, yes, but I have been here three times and have never had to wait more than 20 minutes, which seems reasonable for a meal that you know is going to be delicious. Their food is inventive, flavorful, and always so fresh. Each time I want to try something different but end up returning to the chickpea and harissa patty sandwich, which is just amazing. I seriously dream about that sandwich. I have also had the ricotta appetizer to share, which is fantastic, and my dining partners have raved about the soba salad. I don't think you can go wrong here!

Reviewed 27 December 2016 via mobile

We came at 2pm on Boxing Day, and man was it packed. The waiting area is tiny, you feel like a sardine. There are only 2 seats and everyone else stands. But it was better to wait indoors than walk further in freezing rain, so we waited. It was only about 25 min, but it felt a lot longer. Be sure to get your name on the waiting list- some people missed it.
The tables were very close together. And since it was so busy, you felt a bit on top of your neighbors. Some larger parties arrived before us and left after, so I'm sure that wasn't helping the flow of traffic.
The service and menu were very nice and bilingual. We were able to pay with a card.
Now the food was fantastic. Made it worth the wait. Many vegetarian options. And they were still serving brunch in addition to the lunch menu, because it was a holiday. Truffle Mac and cheese was amazing. My husband's Cuban sandwich was spicy and good (of note- it wasn't on the menu exactly, but I saw some people order this with a side of soup or salad). The hot chocolate was not too sweet, but wasn't bitter. And we took a ginger and white chocolate bar to go for dessert, which was divine.
It was worth the wait to eat, I just wish the wait had been more pleasant.

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

Went there with my friend on a Saturday afternoon around 2:15pm for brunch. The wait was about 40 mins, but it was so worth it!!! Didn't get to try their popular grilled cheese, but it looked really good. Definitely would go back next time visiting Montreal! I really like their plain grillé is soooo good. Fluffy and savory. All the carbs you can eat. Also, after your meal, check out its pastries. They are awesome as well!

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

Everything was wonderful! Fresh. Best minestrone soup I've ever had. Le Cubain was magnificent! Lovely atmosphere too. Crowded but worth the wait.