“Best Seafood Chowder”

Hunter's Ale House
Ranked #25 of 289 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Pub style restaurant with large patios flanking the corner property. Menu includes many variations on classic pub favorites (ask for the chicken curry nachos). Dine in and enjoy live entertainment nightly in the heart of beautiful downtown Charlottetown.
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Since 1976 I have been looking for a Seafood Chowder that compares to the Seafood Chowder from Mo's in Lincoln City Oregon.

We were driving through town and saw Mo's. When I asked for Clam Chowder and the server asked "do you like other seafood in your chowder hun?" I answered "yes". She said "then you want the Seafood chowder". The Chowder arrived and my first spoonful was a crab claw meat. Each spoonful brought a new surprise. Since then nothing has come close.

That was until I had the Seafood Chowder at Hunter's Ale House in Charlottetown last week. It took 41 years but, I found a new favorite! I stopped the owner and thanked him for changing my quest for Seafood Chowder. I have a new standard to beat.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

The specialty of the restaurant is their legendary lobster chowder, which did not disappoint. They also had an extensive poutine menu with some really weird ones like butter chicken poutine. I had regular poutine and it was good. The steak came with THREE servings of mashed potatoes with butter. The chicken wings were also very good. They had live music and no cover.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I visited the Hunters alehouse once again on a recent visit to the Island. Its always good in there and I had a few Guinness. I ordered some wings and sweet potato fries which were excellent. They did take rather a long time to arrive and I did ask the server what the hold up was, as the place was not that busy. The owner showed up and asked what my problem was and appologised for the delay and promptly filled up my Guiness which I thought was decent. I didnt complain I just pointed out that it had been a while since I had ordered. It was worth the wait and I enjoyed my meal. Always liked the Hunters and have been going there once a year since it was Darcy McGees.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

well first off I read a few reviews on this place before we went one person raved about the seafood chowder so we got there first night nothing fancy but let me tell you the girls that work there are excellent we had Becka the first night and she was outstanding oh yes we had the seafood chowder and it was to die for also had to try the mussels seeing we are from Maine and never had any before well they were delicious so went back next night had mussels again and tried lobster roll it was good but we are used to chunks of lobster meat not shredded but that did not stop us from going the third night decided on seafood chowder again and had the lobster dip excellent!!! our waitress that night was Merideth well I can not say enough about this place just try it . Again thanks to the waitresses they are fantastic.Hope to be back

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Looking for a great sports bar - beers come in oversized mugs - largest was 34oz - great value but my wife was complaining about the weight half way through it! Unexpectedly the seafood chowder was awesome, lots of lobster, scallops mussels and fish, a meal in itself and flavours blended together well. Tried fresh local panfried scallops, which were fresh and not overlooked, but their was an off after taste - possibly burned the butter. Service was excellent - attentive and extremely polite.