“Closed”

Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours
Description: The Big Orange Lunchbox is a Funky, Retro, Warm,environment. It is an open space with plenty of room for family's, large tables and events.
Reviewed 19 November 2014

Restaurant is closed-no longer operating...no explanation has been given...please remove from your restaurant list as it does not seem to be reopening any time soon

Date of visit: November 2014

Reviewed 30 October 2014

We went to The Big Orange Lunch Box and I was pleasantly surprised by the menu. I went expressly for the Pulled Asian Duck but, they did not have any. Apparently I was unable to order it because the Duck Man hadn't slaughtered his ducks yet.
The burger was very good. Moist & not overcooked. I liked the fact that from a large choice of toppings I was allowed to pick 5.
There is no excuse for a restaurant on PEI to serve mass produced french fries so I was impressed that the fries were hand cut ,perfectly seasoned & perfectly cooked. Bonus points on that !!!

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed 11 October 2014

Having just arrived in town, we happened upon The Big Orange while driving University Avenue searching for a late dinner. The 'organic' sign grabbed our attention at 9:30, and we found out they serve till ten.

The ambiance is funky, artsy, young, quirky, eclectic. Local art displayed on the walls is for sale.

Our server was absolutely delightful. She bopped back and forth like she really enjoyed her job and her customers.

At first glance we were a little freaked out by the menu. The chalkboard specials were pork, pork, and pork. We asked if that was all they served. Turns out they're celebrating Pork-toberfest this month ... thus the pork intensive menu.

But they serve lots of other goodies. I ordered organic hot tea - strawberry pineapple - for starters. It was perfect on a chilly night. They offer several beer choices, iced tea, and soda.

The menu includes both ordinary fare, like fish and chips, plus very interesting choices ... duck tacos anyone?

Our server informed us that they also serve the best burger in town. The legendary grilled cheese looked tempting, so we settled on those two items and decided to split them, along with an order of fries.

The burger comes with up to five toppings. We were offered either a corn based relish or zucchini based. The zucchini relish was amazing, and the burger was delicious.

The grilled cheese had both mozzarella and ADL cheddar (a local brand?), and you can order it with bacon or pulled duck or any number of other enhancements for an upcharge. Grilled cheese comes on thick sliced bread, which was toasted crispy.

It also comes with a side of fries, and it turns out the fries are also the best in town. They're never frozen - only the best PEI potatoes are peeled and sliced and fried fresh ... and served hot ! Excellent.

The burger was $6. You can make it a double burger for $8.50, or add a side of fries for $3. The legendary grilled cheese includes fries, for $9. Our total bill was just under $20, including tax.

The home made apple pie with ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce sounded too good to pass up, but we had no room for dessert. Next time.

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed 12 September 2014

After hearing and reading a lot of positive reviews, hubby and I decided to have dinner here. The menu had a great selection and they use locally supplied ingredients which is awesome. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly. Our food was served in a timely manner and was very good. Really enjoyed the fish an hand cut fries. The decor was very eclectic but seemed to fit well with the eclectic menu. Prices are very reasonable. My only complaint with this place is the dining area is somewhat lacking in cleanliness. While we were there, the front door to the restaurant was left open and a few small fruit flies kept hovering around our meal. We could also smell a smokey odour coming in through the open front door as people were smoking on the sidewalk just outside. Hubby accidentally spilled some water and when I tried to dry the upholstered seat where it spilled, the white napkin I used was brown from dirt saturated into the seats which are in dire need of a good steam cleaning. We would probably go back for the delicious food but opt for take out next time and eat in our vehicle which I can definitely say is cleaner than this restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had a hard orange lunchbox. I loved that thing to pieces. I put stickers on it and carried it to school. I plunked it on the lunch table and clicked it back together. Other kids had Rainbow Bright, Strawberry Shortcake (they look related, now that I think about it) He-man, but mines was just orange.

So I had to eat here.

(Plus, this place was primarily organic!)

This was my first time eating PEI Fries. They were good. Actually, they were the best fries I've ever tasted. There is a creaminess to them. I explained to the two waitresses about Ontario potatoes and they just looked at me with blank expressions because they've "only had PEI potatoes!"

Both waitresses made me laugh so hard I wanted to cry. One talked to me all about PEI and where I should go concerning beaches and attractions. She was educated in tourism on the Island and been to every one of them. She gave me names of beaches and the house of Anne of Green Gables came highly recommended.

What a wonderful wonderful night!

Date of visit: August 2014