“Good food and service but lacking somewhat in cleanliness”
Review of The Big Orange Lunchbox - CLOSED

The Big Orange Lunchbox
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours
Description: The Big Orange Lunchbox is a Funky, Retro, Warm,environment. It is an open space with plenty of room for family's, large tables and events.
Reviewed 12 September 2014

After hearing and reading a lot of positive reviews, hubby and I decided to have dinner here. The menu had a great selection and they use locally supplied ingredients which is awesome. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly. Our food was served in a timely manner and was very good. Really enjoyed the fish an hand cut fries. The decor was very eclectic but seemed to fit well with the eclectic menu. Prices are very reasonable. My only complaint with this place is the dining area is somewhat lacking in cleanliness. While we were there, the front door to the restaurant was left open and a few small fruit flies kept hovering around our meal. We could also smell a smokey odour coming in through the open front door as people were smoking on the sidewalk just outside. Hubby accidentally spilled some water and when I tried to dry the upholstered seat where it spilled, the white napkin I used was brown from dirt saturated into the seats which are in dire need of a good steam cleaning. We would probably go back for the delicious food but opt for take out next time and eat in our vehicle which I can definitely say is cleaner than this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had a hard orange lunchbox. I loved that thing to pieces. I put stickers on it and carried it to school. I plunked it on the lunch table and clicked it back together. Other kids had Rainbow Bright, Strawberry Shortcake (they look related, now that I think about it) He-man, but mines was just orange.

So I had to eat here.

(Plus, this place was primarily organic!)

This was my first time eating PEI Fries. They were good. Actually, they were the best fries I've ever tasted. There is a creaminess to them. I explained to the two waitresses about Ontario potatoes and they just looked at me with blank expressions because they've "only had PEI potatoes!"

Both waitresses made me laugh so hard I wanted to cry. One talked to me all about PEI and where I should go concerning beaches and attractions. She was educated in tourism on the Island and been to every one of them. She gave me names of beaches and the house of Anne of Green Gables came highly recommended.

What a wonderful wonderful night!

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Had high expectations but it was awful. Burger soooo dry! They were out of wings, jalapeños and banana peppers. To top it off the power went out! Super disappointed!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had dinner here later one evening with children and seniors alike and between breakfast (for dinner), poutine, chicken wings, burgers, fish and nachos - all of it was excellent. Ok - the classic poutine gravy was a little salty - but still good.

The Ice tea / Sweet tea was literally the best I've ever tasted. Perfect!

Great food - reasonable prices and the service was very good. I'd eat here again next time I'm in Charlottetown!

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The food was really tasty, one of the best burgers I tried in PEI. My wife enjoyed her chicken wrap as well. But the place is run down and dark.

Service was very much a mixed bag. They were trying out a new cook and got a half dozen tables come in close to one another. The food took a long time to be prepared but, in fairness, they did tell us about the delay and discounted our bill.

Location is on a University in downtown Charlottetown within walking distance of all the tourist attractions.