“Enchanting Inn”

Elmwood Heritage Inn
Ranked #1 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My wife and I planned a trip to the East coast of Canada and a must see was PEI. I booked the Elmwood B&B having never previously stayed in a bed & breakfast. I was instructed by friends who have been to PEI previously that the B&B is ubiquitous with the Island. A quick internet search on various sites had one common thread; the Elmwood was at the top of the list. When I called to book it became apparent that the Elmwood owners give a level of personalized customer service that at this point in my travels is unmatched. When booking the innkeeper asked what I wanted o do during my visit to Charlottetown, I mentioned that my wife waned a horse drawn carriage ride through town and hat I wanted to visit some local pubs. Upon arrival I was presented with a list of local pubs (already contacted for hours of operation) as well as a list of handsome cab companies. A walking map was provided and we were off exploring town. After our return we spent the evening in our sitting room watching movies from the Inn’s extensive library of DVD’s. The kitchenette comes stocked with complementary popcorn and beverages complete the movie experience. The breakfast portion of the say was amazing. By far the best French toast I have ever had. On our departure the owners spent 20 minutes recommending attractions and delineating our route . This Inn is the house that inspired Beechwood in the Anne of Green Gables books, and the property’s location is perfect for scenic walks into the downtown area. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Room Tip: All rooms are themed, however top floor is a bit quieer han the other 2.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I am not sure there is anything more that I can say that has not already been said about the Elmwood....it truly is one of the best B&B's that we have ever visited. It was like staying with friends - the room was beautiful, the breakfasts were delicious and Carol and Jay could not do enough for us. We would certainly recommend the Elmwood Inn as the place to stay in Charlottetown.

Room Tip: If you don't want to carry a lot of suitcases up a lot of narrow stairs, as for a room on a lowe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed at the inn before and after a self supported bike trip with my two children. Staying at Elmwood was more like staying with a favorite aunt and uncle in a wonderful luxurious home, than staying at an Inn. The inn is conveniently located in a quiet neighborhood, but not too far from restaurants and shopping. The hosts, Carol and Jay, are very personable and helpful. They gave great advice on everything from where to eat to how to walk somewhere in town by the scenic route. They even graciously held some extra luggage for us while we went cycling. The food was fabulous and they even accommodated a gluten-free diet request at the last minute without missing a beat. The rooms are beautiful and gracious, we slept soundly and deeply. Stay here when you visit Charlottetown; I wish we were coming back soon!

Just another note we used George Larter PEI Guide and Drive Service to help get ourselves and bikes to our tour starting point. George was a great resource and sets up lots of personalized tours and he is used to cyclists!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I spent a delightful two nights at the Elmwood B and B. Carol and Jay could not have been better hosts. The breakfasts were generous and delicious. The room was very comfortable and had lots of extra touches that you don't ordinarily find in B and Bs, like really nice robes, pen and paper, free soda and juice. And, best of all, Carol and Jay were very helpful tour guides -- Carol's route for touring the island was perfect, and her recommendations for restaurants were spot on. Be aware that it is not in the Charlottetown tourist area, but is a 15 - 25 minute walk (depending on whether you take the direct or the scenic route, both of which are nice walks). We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rosa's room on the third floor is pretty and comfortable. It is a little dark, however, and wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Found this Inn on line...through Trip Advisor. We were lucky to find they had a vacancy ...Rosa's Room. A sweet third floor suite with cozy decor. A warm welcome from Jay...Carol was out shopping for breakfast and securing our tickets for Anne of Green Gables Play. Handy to the theatre. Breakfast was sumptuous... Enjoyed a beautifully presented meal with silver, china and warm conversations with Jay, Carol, and other happy guests. Highly recommend. Made our Anniversary trip very special.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple