“Very Disappointed”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My Husband and I dined at Ruby Watcoo last night and were very disappointed with our experience, while the $300 price tag was not so much of an issue the bland food was.
We had the Lamb which is a dish we both love but this was very undercooked and totally lacking in any flavor, as well the potatoes and eggplant were the same hard and undercooked and lacking in flavor...even the dessert was bland!!! I will say though the service was great but nothing stood out enough to make us want to go back.

1  Thank G T

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I went to Ruby WatchCo for a belated Valentine's dinner on a Friday night. I had tried to book for a Saturday evening but all they had left was a late seating on the Friday night (8:45pm). As previously mentioned reservations are a must, and plan to arrive in the area a few (10-15 minutes?) early as its a pretty busy area with parking at a premium (we ended up parking on Broadview, about a 5 minute walk away).

As the prix fixe menu (this is the only thing they serve) is set for each day the week before and this day they had trout as the main I had mixed expectations about the experience. I'm glad to report that I was not disappointed! The opening salad, the trout itself accompanied by LOTS of fresh and flavourful vegetables, the small goat cheese and eggplant taster and the cheese cake dessert were all plentiful and awesome: we were stuffed by the 3rd course! Each course was delivered to out table in a serving dish (or dishes) and we served ourselves - a novel idea that is afforded by the prix fixe concept. We also opted for the wine pairings to accompany each course: except for the Pinot Noir pairing with the trout all were very well paired.

As for the atmosphere, the restaurant is small so when its full, the combination of everyone's enjoyment of the food and the jovial staff makes for a loud experience...but enjoyable nonetheless.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This restaurant has a 4 course fixed menu everyday so dont expect to pick your own meal...its already done for you...which i find unique because the chef decides what works best together. Ate here for Valentines weekend. Service was unbelievable...best we have had for a higher end restaurant. All the staff seemed to work so well together! Food was fresh and local which was perfect. Quality and Quantity. Loved meeting celebrity chef Crawford...very humble! Amazing experience. Will definately go back...Marty (one of the servers) totally made the experience even better!

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Simply great! Lynn Crawford of "Pitching In" on Food Network has got her stuff together. She clearly demonstrates her skills by creating a wonderful atmosphere, having excellent service and delivering great food. When we went - including our 16 year old son - we were taken to one of the rear seats close to the kitchen. If you are a foodie and enjoy watching the kitchen, the back of the house is where it is at. Our son ate everything and I'm mean everything including taking seconds of vegetables. The courses are served family style - allowing everyone to choose the quantities. The menu is prix fix and includes wine pairings from Ontario (optional) - and our evening's dinner was all about pork with the exception of desert. The cooking was accessible - no strange combinations or chemistry. My wife, the cook of the house took away several great ideas.

After coffee was served - I bought Crawford's latest cook book - and my wife and son went to the kitchen entrance where Lynn graciously signed it, and chatted for a few minutes. We learned that the Pig Farmer whose produce we were eating, was sitting down with his entire family. Chef Lynn even impresses the farmers!

For a truly Canadian cooking experience - Ruby Watchco is definitively a must do!

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Food was fantastic, nice staff, and full...mostly with regulars