“New job”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Cross street: Queen and Bathurst
Transit: The 501 street car runs 24 hours, with stops at Palmerston and Niagara.
Description: Czehoski is a restaurant / bar located in the trendy Queen West neighborhood. The food focus is on classic comfort cuisine with a contemporary twist. Known for our extensive cocktail list and date-worthy atmosphere.
Reviewed 28 August 2015

Group of 9 for dinner to celebrate a new job. We actually ordered 7 schnitzel entrees and 2 wings with fries entrees and was excellent. Delicious wings with fries and the fries were seasoned with really nice thyme and the schnitzel made from pork tenderloin, mashed potato, red cabbage and green beans and a delicious gravy. A definite good spot and we were up in their patio. Nice.

Reviewed 8 June 2015

I went to Czehoski for the first time this past weekend, and was extremely disappointed. A few friends and I went there for a birthday celebration, and upon arrival it took the server nearly twenty minutes to come over and ask if I wanted anything (two of my friends were there and had already eaten), despite us making eye contact multiple times, and despite the fact that the restaurant was not busy. He eventually brought over my beer, and as I looked over at the bar he was continually doing shots with his friends. About twenty minutes later our waiter had changed, and another two of my friends arrived, and after nearly half an hour of them waiting, I had to go over and ask for service (despite the fact that the restaurant was still empty, and at this point our new waiter was all over some girl, apparently whispering sweet nothings and completely ignoring the restaurant). We then asked asked our THIRD WAITER if the patio was busy, and if there was room for us, to which our waiter replied with an eye roll " well you can go check for yourselves, I have no idea". We then decided to leave, because it was a pretty awful experience.

When it finally came time to pay, we tried to get the attention of our waiter (unsuccessfully), and had to once again go over and ask for our separate bills. We then waited another 20 minutes, and had to go over again and ask, only to be given a joint cheque of all of our beer/meals despite asking or separate cheques.

I am a waiter, so I completely understand when a restaurant is busy, you are going to wait. However, the restaurant was dead, our waiters weren't busy, and we were treated badly. I will never go here again, for the amount you pay for a pint of beer, and the awful customer service, it is definitely NOT worth your time or money.

Reviewed 21 March 2015 via mobile

I enjoyed this restaurant s great deal the first two times my husband and I visited. I've recommended it to many people since. I love the atmosphere which we learned was build atop a former 1950's butcher shop. If I had taken the time to review it after the first two visits I would've given it 4-5 stars.

Unfortunately, since our last visit, what appear to be cost cutting measures have cropped up and I was not impressed. My perogies were still delicious but the portion was smaller and the side dish (kapuska) was nearly nonexistent. The pancetta was replaced with bacon which you now have to add onto your meal price.

My husband had previously ordered the bed ribs which are no longer on the menu -- these were excellent. The second time he had wings and they were good too. This time, he tried the burger and fries. The fries were great -- kind of Swiss Chalet meats chip truck. The burger was reportedly good however I was not impressed to see what looked like a D'Italiano grocery store bun.

Cocktails are pricey but delicious.

I am not going to be rushing back unless I hear that the previously quality has returned. I still haven't found another good Polish restaurant in the GTA with good perogies like this place has so it will stay in the rotation for "perogies" cravings...

1  Thank BobiTychynskiShimoda
Reviewed 25 February 2015

4 of us went for dinner during Winterlicious.. because of traffic and weather we were running late. I called and told them we would be about 30 minutes late for our 6:30 reservation. I was told the next reservation for the table was 8:45. I said that was no problem, we wouldn't linger. We got all 3 courses served and finished by 8:00. It was kind of ridiculous. They were bringing our main course before we were done our appetizers. Then the server said "I'll bring your desserts in a few minutes" - and one of us was STILL eating our main course... I can understand wanting to hurry us out if they are super busy, but there were empty tables all over the place.
APPETIZER: I had the roasted beet salad. It didn't have enough vinaigrette, but the bits of beets helped to moisten it. It was quite a small salad.
My husband had the Caesar Salad, again it was quite dry. Another member of our party had the Borscht Soup. He enjoyed it.

MAIN COURSE: I had the Pierogies - 4 smallish pierogies on a bed of kapusta (cabbage and onions) and a small smear of Creme Fraiche (sour cream). I was expecting big, beautiful fluffy homemade pierogies. Nah. They were smallish, pan fried so that the exterior was dry and tough. The filling was sweet potato and cheese and was ok, but there was not enough filling. Honestly they weren't any better than the bag of 24 frozen pierogi I get at the grocery store for about $3. But seriously.. 4 pierogies for a MAIN course?? On the other hand, the men at the table got bacon wrapped filet mignon which featured not one but TWO 5 oz medallions..that's 10 OUNCES of beef tenderloin PLUS smashed red skin potatoes, PLUS garlic rapini for the SAME price as 4 little pierogies???? Thankfully my hubby gave me some bites of his steak, which was quite tasty and cooked perfectly. I'm still shaking my head at the injustice of it all.

DESSERT: Because we ordered all our courses at the beginning, I was foolish enough to order the dessert pierogi - they had run out of blueberry, so they offered cherry which was fine with me. What I got was 4 even tinier pierogies (literally bite sized) with a small squirt of whipped cream. My husband had the fudge cake, which was ok.

SERVICE: Our server was a bit manic and hyper, like I said we felt very rushed..all the courses served in just under an hour. After that we hung around and chatted because we didn't get much time to converse as per usual between courses. Now the server is clearing the glasses and silverware off the table. We were feeling like they wanted us out, so we decided to leave but we had to now hunt down our bill. We were out the door by 8:20..plenty of time for their 8:45 reservation. We will never go back. I was still hungry.
I'm rating the service as average, because although we didn't wait for anything, being rushed isn't good either.

Reviewed 11 February 2015

We went there for a late Winterlicious dinner, on a week night. There were a few people there, but it was far from being busy. The service was relatively poor. We first got the appetizer in a timely fashion (borsht soup, good, but small amount), and then had to wait 40 minutes to get the main dish. After getting our dessert, we never saw the waitress again. We had to chase someone down eventually to get the bill. Good thing we were not in a hurry. No excuse for a non busy week night.

The food portions were not acceptable and the taste was mediocre at best. I am personally all about the quality, not the quantity, but four small pierogies is NOT an "entree", it could not be a dinner for anyone but a child. It made me wonder whether this is the quantity they normally give, or was this just for Winterlicious. They also did not contain "kapusta" (cabbage) as advertised.

The dessert was a disaster too. The blueberry pierogies were also just bite size (and tasted just okay), and the chocolate cake, I'm pretty sure was McCain's, and also did not come with "fresh raspberries" as advertised. Overall, I would not recommend this place for dinner. The ambience was nice though, so may be good for drinks.

1  Thank AF1234